Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

defrag error message

• Please log in to reply

dumpling

dumpling

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
When running defrag on my hd (I use xp), at 70% I get the message:

The scan has been cancelled because an error occured in file: c/programme files/common files/command software/MACRO.DEF

I am also getting the pop up message:

cidaemon.exe c/program files/common files/command software/MACRO.DEF corrupt and unreadable

This second message pops up now and then asking me to run chkdsk. I run chkdsk but it still pops up.

I'm not a wiz on computer stuff but I would be grateful if anyone can help me or give me directions on how to solve this as its starting to drive me nuts.

By the way the defrag only stopped working properly when I checked that I do not have a prefetch folder as I deleted a couple of files on it but it seems to have disappeared. Would this have affected the defrag tool??

Many thanks in advance. :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
neither a comment nor suggestion about the site...moving you to xp

dumpling

dumpling

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Am new to forums so am not sure of etiquette but site is very useful and informative. Be grateful of any help anyone can give me on the problems outline previously. Many thanks.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Try disc defragmenter

dumpling

dumpling

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Keith what a star you are! It worked a treat, and now defrag works, many thanks. :whistling:

However when I start my computer I a couple of dialogue boxes popping up with the messages:

Rundll32.exe - entry point not found
The procedure entry point ThunkConnect 32 could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll

Rundll
Error loading c:/windows/system32/NvCpl.dll
The specified procedure could not be found

This is not related to my previous query as this has been popping up for a while now but I would like to know if there is any way of getting rid of it. Is this a serious message to say somethings not right with my computer??

Many thanks in advance again for any help anyone can offer me. :blink:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Update the video adapter drivers for the NvCpl thing (Nvidia card?)

download and save the new file then check if you need to uninstall the existing ones first

Can you search including hidden and system files for RSRC32.DLL

dumpling

dumpling

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks Keith, I will give it a go and let you know how it goes.