Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot Disk

• Please log in to reply

xtrnl

xtrnl

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey guys sorry i didnt know where to post this, but recently i broke my hard drive for my Emachines T5026 and i got another hard drive that was formatted and plugged it in but the computer didnt come with a boot disk when i bought it so the hard drive does not have Windows XP on it and when i try to start the computer i get this error:

Intel® Boot Agent PXE Base Code (BA1210BC)
Copyright© 1997-2003 Intel Corporation

PXE-E61: Media Test Faliure Check Cable
PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel Boot Agent
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

Any solution would be helpful thanks.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that is your pc trying to boot over a network
Has your harddrive been recognized by the motherboard....ie, do you see it when you start you PC and it lists the drives? Or drop into BIOS and see if it is recognized

Is it the only drive on a controller? Are both drives set up correctly (slave and master, as opposed to cable select, which only works with a special cable)

xtrnl

xtrnl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
There is only one hard drive attached to the computer and the motherboard detects it i checked in BIOS everything is there andi checked the hard drive and it was set to PM2 then i switched oit to Master and now the error message doesnt appear nothing happens just a blinking _ on the screen

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ok...so, this is a blank harddrive, right? You need to install windows on it

xtrnl

xtrnl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yea its a blank hard drive i reformatted it yesterday also i have a windows xp cd handy

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
try to install it then. make sure bios is set to boot to the CD-romfirst, then the harddrive
insert the xp cd, reboot

setup should start

xtrnl

xtrnl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
well i did everything you said and i still get a blinking _ in the top left hand corner the hard drive is set to master BTW dunno if it makes a difference

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
is the cdrom plugged in?

xtrnl

xtrnl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yea everything is pluged in

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it sounds like you have a faulty masterboot record, but you should not have any bootrecord on the drive since there is no OS

When you boot with the xp cd, and the cd-rom is the first bootable device, you should get an option to press any key to load setup from cd-rom

are you not getting that?

Or, are you certain that your xp cd is legit?

xtrnl

xtrnl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
no i dont get any option to press a key and the windows xp cd is perfectly legit it runs on my other computer

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
define run....what I am trying to discern is whether it is a bootable disk

you said only one drive is on the controller. the cd-rom is on the second controller?

If your xp cd is bootable, your cd drive is the first boot device, and the harddrive is the second boot device, then it should work.

we are losing something in the communication

xtrnl

xtrnl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
when i insert the cd in my other computer it starts setup right away and yea i have the cr rom drive on the second jumper thing and the hard drive on the first and its connected to the motherboard and the power box i triple checked it my hard drive is set to master and my cd rom drive is set to slave and the cd rom drive is first to boot then the hard drive

Edited by xtrnl, 21 June 2006 - 05:05 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

the hard drive and it was set to PM2 then

what does that mean?

And in BIOS, what is the first boot device?