Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RAID1 Array process

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
they do not use any less, or more...anything with a motor uses 12volts

I doubt it is a bios issue, but you could update the bios with the single drive in there.

Sure sounds like a psu issue

Advertisements

drmull

drmull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Assuming 400W is not enough to run the system with 2 SATA drives, how much higher should I go? Do you think 450W would be enough? I am, of course, trying to do all this as cheaply as possible!

As an experiment, would I damage anything if I supply power to the 2nd SATA drive but leave it disconnected from the MB? That might help rule out the PSU if it boots like that.

UPDATE____

I tried my experiment. With the power cable connected to the 2nd SATA drive but no data cable to the MB, the PC boots normally! Is it really getting power when the data cable's disconnected? If so, there has to be some MB/BIOS issue here, don't you think?

BTW - I can feel the 2nd drive vibrating so I have to assume it is spinning.

Thanks, gerryf

Edited by drmull, 27 June 2006 - 09:36 PM.

drmull

drmull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
gerry -

Turns out it was a bad data cable. I had an extra and the system booted with both SATA drives connected.

Then it went south!

I entered the RAID setup utility. Both drives were shown and I created the mirrored array. No problem. It said to press "B" to make the array bootable but that selection was greyed out at the bottom of the screen. I'm assuming since there was one array it was automatically bootable?

The Gigabyte site said (in fractured English), "If you want to set 2 SATA drives to Raid 1 ( mirror ), go into IDE function setup, set SATA primary master Raid & SATA secondary master Raid to Enable. Then when system boots, press ctrl + G (two keys), go to Raid bios, create Raid 1 array, then select duplicate from source drive to the destination drive". I NEVER saw that choice anywhere in the setup utility! I exited setup and when tried to boot I got "boot disk failure" and "insert system disk". RATS!!

I'm assuming the failure happened because both disks in the array didn't look the same at boot - correct?

I don't know if the first SATA drive OS is fried -maybe I'll have to image again and start over. Do you have ANY idea how to duplicate the first drive to the second drive in RAID setup? I didn't see that command in the owner's manual anywhere. Thanks---

Edited by drmull, 28 June 2006 - 09:40 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
anything about "rebuilding" the mirror in the raid setup utility?

Hard to say without looking at what you are seeing

drmull

drmull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi gerry - First off, I am booted back on the first SATA drive. Nothing was corrupted in the process - whew!

Yes, in the RAID "Array Detail" window of the setup [R] Rebuild was a choice at the bottom of the screen. The other choices were "Delete", "Clear Disk" and "Enter (Return)".

Would "Rebuild" get me to the duplicate function??

Thanks

drmull

drmull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Here's a quick scan of the MB manual under the RAID setup utility. I had a question mark for myself next to "At the prompt" because I never received a prompt. Probably because I never selected one of the disks on the list...not that I even needed to! The rebuild command, in case you can't read it, is in the screenshot on the second page.

BTW - the [B]Set Boot choice in the "Array List" screen is not greyed-out in the manual but was for me. I wonder if it would have been selectable if I'd duplicated the data to the 2nd drive?

Posted Image

Edited by drmull, 28 June 2006 - 10:30 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I would choose rebuild---that should build the mirror from the first disk--it would be no different then if a mirror failed, and you needed to replace a drive

drmull

drmull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Well, I thought it might be easy to rebuild, but the RAID setup utility is so vague I can't figure out what to do! I'm so mad I could spit (it's a southern thing).

I go into the utility and it shows the array I built and says it's healthy. Great...

I select the array details window where it lists the 2 drives in the array and has the rebuild command at the bottom. It asks me to "select a disk from inside the array". I selected the 2nd (blank) disk and hit OK. Nothing happens. Maybe since it shows the array as healthy I can't rebuild it? I was afraid to select the first disk in the array for fear of wiping the contents.

Do you think I should delete the array and start over again?

I'm so angry because when I Google RAID setup utilities (other than nvidia) the interfaces are so straighforward showing source & destination disk, etc. This nVidia one is so mysterious I'm afraid to press any key! If you know of ANYONE who's ever dealt with it, please let me know! The MB manual has NOTHING about rebuilding an array. Thanks

Gigabyte has been pretty good about responding to questions but, of course, hasn't answered the big one - how to duplicate from the source drive to the destination drive.

Edited by drmull, 29 June 2006 - 10:15 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Why not create the mirror with two blank drives, then restore the image to it then?

Rebuilding the mirror should work

I'm sorry, but i have never built a raid with that controller. That's why this is so baffling to me...this is not normally difficult with other controllers.

Create the image, put the image on the first drive, rebuild the mirror, which moves the drive contents of 1 to the second drive....very straighforward

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, went and downloaded your full manual instead of just the array addendum

I think that is what i would do....hit f10 to enter array setup

create the array mirror with two blank drives, then image the array from the original drive, then in bios change the primary boot from the ide to the raid

Advertisements

drmull

drmull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Thanks for the response. I realize this should be simple - so I guess I'll have to start all over as you're suggesting.

I did get a response from Gigabyte which sort of echoes what you're saying (I think). I love the first sentence:

"You make your self complicated. Image on IDE drive was set to SATA none. Raid enable, then clone to SATA drive 1. Boot from SATA drive 1. OK - now you want to add second SATA and set them to Raid 1, then do the duplicate from SATA 1 to SATA 2.
Why didn't you enable SATA Raid in bios, boot system from IDE drive, load all drivers (Raid driver ), then connect 2 SATA drives and create Raid 1 ( mirror ) then keep.
Boot system from IDE to windows. Format the SATA Raid 1 drive in windows first - then clone IDE drive to the SATA mirror drive. Then set boot sequence in bios under advance bios features. Hard disk boot priority #1 is the SATA Raid drive system. It should boot from there - Raid 1 should work
."

Do I have to blank my loaded SATA drive before starting over - reformat it somehow?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you can blank it in the raid creation utility, I clearly saw that in your manual

Here's the thing that bugs me about that response you got--what happens if you need to rebuild the mirror? It almost implies that the rebuild mirror function does not work, doesn't it?

Yes, you can do it the way we discussed and he confirmed,,,but recreating the mirror should work too

drmull

drmull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
OK - I'll give it a go.

1- Go into the setup utility and clear the drive and maybe delete the array?

2- Reinstall the IDE drive and make sure I can still boot from it.

3- Connect both SATA drives and reboot into the RAID utility - create the array. Save & exit, still booting from the IDE drive.

4 - Format the SATA drive(s) - will it do both since it's now a mirrored array?

5 - Clone from the IDE to the array - or whatever it shows available to clone to.
Does it see the array as one drive?

6 - Shut down, remove the IDE drive, boot into BIOS, enable primary and secondary master Raid, and boot from the array.

Is that even close? I feel like I don't get any of this anymore!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yep, I like it...sounds like a plan

drmull

drmull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Cool -

Of course I find this out now by Googleing...but there is a program that was loaded with the RAID drivers called "NvRaidMan" that allows you to rebuild an array while in Windows with a step-by-step wizard. The program did not recognize the array I had built (both drives are connected right now)...but that's par for my course! Seems like a Catch 22 - if I go into BIOS and enable RAID the PC won't boot. Kind of funny -

Step 4 of the plan - formatting (installing) the 2 SATA drives on my system. I used Maxblast to format before and chose "Use as a boot device". Should I do that again and will it do both drives at the same time (mirrored)??

Thanks - I'm sure this thread has exhausted your patience!