Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS-DOS help, and BIOS help

• Please log in to reply

Tstankmchoody

Tstankmchoody

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
First lets start with the fact that i cannot access my Windows XP, somehow a PCI BUS Driver got deleted, and apparently thats a big deal because i can't go into normal windows, safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, or any of that other jazz they offer me, so i was looking for my shortcut to the BIOS while its starting. I have an Emachines W-version W1604 and i cannot find it in the manual how to get to the BIOS, also, i have a MS-DOS startup floppy, but i have no idea how to work it, and the geniouses at microsoft.com didn't help much. i was wondering if i am able to "unerase" what was deleted of that format. Thanks for the help

Advertisements

chris73

chris73

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
No disrespect to your PC knowledge is intended here -

but what have you tried so far? What F keys have you tried on boot? F8? F12? F10?

I'm only trying to eliminate the obvious here before futher anyalsis of your system.

Tstankmchoody

Tstankmchoody

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ive tried them but in the certain situation with my blue screen not letting through to windows, it disables some keys.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
You should be hitting the F keys before you ever get to the Windows screen. Start tapping the F keys as soon as the computer is turned on. If it's a Dell F2 is your BIOS setup F key. F10 and F12 are used also. What is the brand of your computer? I take it you are trying to get into the BIOS?
Try BartPE to use the System Restore. Download to a computer then burn an image to CD. This will allow you boot from this CD into a windows environment.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
f1 and DEL are also common bios entry keys

Tstankmchoody

Tstankmchoody

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
yeah, ill go through and check em all again, and that Bartbe thing... the only problem with that is im going to have to find someone who has Windows XP, to download it on, because this computer doesn't have it, and mine is obviously messed up... if anyone with XP could download it, and just set it on the drivers, and e-mail it to me that'd be great...

edit-- it is an extraordinarily bad idea to post your email on the internet

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
You do not need XP to download and create a disk, you just need XP to run the program.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it is not permissable to do that...creating a bartpe requires that you have a license to run windows xp, which means you need to have a licensed copy

furthermore, a bartpe is several hundred megabytes in size and could not be emailed to you

I am unclear here--you said you have an issue of windows xp, but do not have it?

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
I have run that model number you posted for your computer and it does not appear to be a emachine model number. Is this your computer. Model W1640 instead of W1604?
I did find that eMachines access the BIOS by repeatly striking the Delete key when you first turn the computer on.

Tstankmchoody

Tstankmchoody

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
yeah that is my model number and thank you, ill try that out, sorry for my mistake.... and yes i have a trouble with xp, on another computer in my home, but currently i am running comcast with a computer running windows 2000