Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

whys my laptop so hot?

• Please log in to reply

saraveza408

saraveza408

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
Hi ! Ive noticed my XP gets very hot very fast when Im on Myspace.Exspecially the bottom of my laptop on the right side.I do use a fan on the bottom & sometimes I'll even sit next to my household fan when Im on myspace as well.It has been above 90 degrees where I live lately.But I do have air conditioning too.
Can anyone tell me why this happens and how I can help slow down this heating??please & thank you!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi saraveza408...

Sounds like the CPU cooler is either very dirty or the fan is not working properly. Can you hear the fan spin up? A can of compressed air (available at most office supply stores) used liberally on the air vents would probably go a long ways toward cooling the machine down.

Other steps you might consider are propping the rear of the machine up on a book to increase air circulation under the machine, or invest in a laptop cooler...they're not that expensive and can knock several degrees off the operating temperature of the CPU and will cool the HDD some, as well.

wannabe1

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
Sometimes i do hear a fan start up for a few minuits when ive been on for like over an hour.
I always use it ontop of a plastic strainer like try w/all these littles holes in it so it very ventalated.I did use a small blow up toy air pump & blow out all dust out of all the orphuses on my laptop.I thought air duster was bad to use inside electrical equipment?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's see if the temps are in the critical range.

Download Speed Fan (Click on the SpeedFan 4.28 link in the second paragraph), install it, and run it to monitor voltages and temperatures.

Post the high temperatures you see.
Posted Image
Canned air sold at office supply stores are safe to use to clean the dust bunnies out of your computer... :whistling:

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
this is what i got....

Win9x:NO 64Bit:NO GiveIO:YES SpeedFan:YES
I/O properly initialized
Linked ISA BUS at $0290
Linked Intel PIIX4E SMBUS at $2180
Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
Scanning Intel SMBus at $2180...