Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Drivers

• Please log in to reply

Paul Bennett

Paul Bennett

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
WIndows nags me about missing drivers, and some things dont work in vista. (most noteably, sound and any form of advanced graphics)

Are vista drivers avaliable for most hardware? Are there any generic drivers that will work in the time being?

Where can I find a decent collection of drivers for my vista machine? Is there any place that these are "compiled", or should I search for them one by one?

I did not choose to use the internet to search for drivers during the OS install. Is there a way to do that post
install, and find the things I am missing?

Thanks so much.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
visit windows update as the first recourse, then visit the manufacturers of your hardware.

A LOT of drivers are not yet available

Paul Bennett

Paul Bennett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Will running windows update dowload some drivers I need?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
some...the drivers packaged with vista were those completed by the time the image was created...a few trickle in over time and MS adds them to the library

yurimxpxman

yurimxpxman

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Strangely enough, the XP drivers CD for my motherboard not only worked in Vista, but was required by Vista to run my hardware. I personally have not experienced the lack of any drivers (though I'm annoyed by the lack of compatibility with some of my favorite programs such as Daemon Tools), but the absence of any driver for Vista does not surprise me. Vista is still a beta. Heck, XP Pro 64 still has an apalling lack of supported hardware.

Posted Image