Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which "protection" do you recommend?

• Please log in to reply

lhp

lhp

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
We put Norton on last year and several things got through. (One Trojan and some malware)

Is there another anti-spyware, anti-virus, anti- whatever that you would recommend? We are coming up on our renewal date with Norton and I am just not certain that they are the best ones.

thanks for the advice

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi, I use AVG free edition and it works fine for me and it free. :whistling:

DeadEye

DeadEye

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
I personally use Zone Labs: Zone Alarm Security Suite. Its about $60.00 a year, or $95.00 for two years but its an awesome program. It has program control (so you can choose what programs can do-and what they cant), im secruity, email secruity, anti-spyware and anti-virus all-in-one. I like it, and ill never go to another program.

You should also download Hijack This, Spybot (hate the program but its very useful), and adaware. (ps, these are all free, google search them; or try www.download.com)

Am I missin anything anyone?

Edited by DeadEye, 21 June 2006 - 11:30 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
I use trend pc-cillin and i have zone alarm for firewall

norton uses your resources

zonealarm firewall is the best and its free

trend is number 1 better than norton

it has all updates norton cant update there so called lu1812

thats my opinion

Powerslave

Powerslave

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
try all these given processes and i know for sure there will be some help in these ideas..

1. Go under 'Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup', and try running the process after that and do every option that is available there.

2. Go under 'Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter, and try running the process after that and do every option that is available there.

3. Download 'Spybot Search & Destroy' and 'Ad-Aware' by googleing the 2 programs and then scan your computer with both of those programs.

4. Download 'AVG Anti Virus' by googleing it and then scan your computer with the program.

5. Go into 'My Computer' and then 'right-click' your 'Local Drive' and go under 'Tools', then do the 'Error-Checking' and follow the process through that.

6. I suggest getting 'Symnantec Client Firewall', as it blocks the "Viruses and Threats" right when they get onto the computer, and then the program gives you options to 'Clean' or 'Delete' the threats. I forgot where to get 'Symnantec Client Firewall'. Try googleing the program.

7. If all fails and you cannot find help elsewhere, then backup everything you have on your computer and 'Reformat'.

i hope this helps..

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
he's looking for options, not reporting an issue.

And please, never suggest someone reformat on these forums--reformats are rarely necessary and are only undertaken as a last resort

Powerslave

Powerslave

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

he's looking for options, not reporting an issue.

And please, never suggest someone reformat on these forums--reformats are rarely necessary and are only undertaken as a last resort

i did give him a list of options to try, not reports..

and i did say that reformatting was the LAST OPTION to ever try..

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I said reporting an issue.

He is asking--what antivirus program should I get?

You walked him through a process of 7 steps, including reformat as a last resort as if "If your problem persists, reformat"

The main point I want to get through to you is do not suggest people reformat...while the more computer saavy folks think nothing of reformating, the typical user doesn't need that kind of advice until multiple attempts have been exhausted

lhp

lhp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Thank you so much for the software suggestions. Sadly in today's time you need more than the "commercial" grade anti-anything. I will have my husband look over your suggestions and install.

It is also wonderful to know that Geeks To Go is there when tradegy does strike.

Something tells me that the future isn't going to get any easier in this department.
Thanks again for all your help.

DeadEye

DeadEye

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Computers get easier? Dont we all wish-lol

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
This is the one I pay for, and highly recommend: :whistling:
http://www.eset.com/download/index.php

Muggle

Muggle

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

This is the one I pay for, and highly recommend: :whistling:
http://www.eset.com/download/index.php

Impressive !! I just read everything on that NOD32 and the test results by the independent lab...again, impressive. I think I'll give that a try....reasonable $$ too.

Thanks for the suggestion !!

Edited by Muggle, 22 June 2006 - 10:50 PM.

Nicholas Preator

Nicholas Preator

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Wow yeah, and a free 30 day trial. Looks good. And for under $40.00 A YEAR? Nice.
-np-

lhp

lhp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Just wanted to let you know I bought the ESET and it is working great. I feel much better now!!