Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

MISSING HDD

• Please log in to reply

opiumink

opiumink

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hey...i would appreciate any help you guys could give me on this.

i had a set up before of XP Pro on my 40 Gig drive on a partition called C:
i had programs on a partition called D:
and then, on an 80 Gig (drive G:) i had misc files, my documents, etc. - no partitions on it.

I recently reformatted all drives.

Now, XP only shows drives C: and D:, i can not find the 80 Gig (G:) anywhere. i have tryed accessing G: in dos, looking at my hardware list there is no 80g or other HDD listed. only the 40g (in it's 2 partitions)

So...how do i get the 80Gig back? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you go thru control panel/perf & maint/admin tools/ computer management/disk management, does it show the 80 G drive there as unpartitioned? If so you can partition it there.

If it is not there, check the data cable and jumper setting to see if the drive got disconnected somehow.

SRX660

fnark

fnark

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
This happened to me after i had a power failure during a format and windows and the bios wasnt recognising the disk. I unplugged the problem drive, booted up and then shut down and plugged the drive back in.
After this the BIOS found the drive fine and i could format and use the drive ok, however the temp sensor on it had seemingly dissapeared.
So does the drive appear in BIOS, if it does then it sounds like a windows problem, if it doesnt then its the drive and i would try unplugging, booting up shut down and then plug it in again.

opiumink

opiumink

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hey guys...sorry for the delay in the response, i've had network card problems as well.

first off, thank you for all your help, unfortunately nothing has worked yet.

here's the situation in a little more detail:

as explained before, i have my 2 drives (a 40 and an 80 Gig), and the 40 was partitioned into two separate partitions.

first of all, i reformatted my 80G drive, by right clicking on the drive in windows xp and choosing "format"

next, i did the same with a partition of my 40g

finally, i reformated my system partition (the one with windows installation) and re-installed xp pro

now, my second partition shows up, but the 80G is NOWHERE to be found. I tried all of your suggestions, but to no avail.

I REALLY don't understand how it could be "master/slave" settings, since i didn't change any of that and everything prior to the reformat of the windows partition, but i could be wrong....i just don't know what to do anymore. i have considered unplugging my windows drive and just keeping the 80G plugged in, and perhaps try booting from a boot disk or something, but i don't want to install windows on the drive to get it to work, then uninstall it off that drive and run into the same problems....so, i'm stuck.

from what i can tell, BIOS isn't seeing the drive, either. any suggestions and help would be GREATLY appreciated.

thanks!

Edited by opiumink, 23 June 2006 - 08:00 AM.