Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Dial-up Internet question

• Please log in to reply

Virus Anonymous

Virus Anonymous

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a dial-up internet modem that only ever gets a 26.4kpbs connection (no less or more, according to the connection status).

I'm not sure if the modem is the reason it's so slow, even for dial-up, or if it's my location (A few miles out of a rather small town. Not exactly the middle of no-where, but it's pretty remote none the less.) or if the modem itself is the cause. My computer is very old, about six years, and I think the modem may simply not be built or configured for faster connections.

Is there any way to change it's speed or at least see what it's maximum connection rate is, to see if it needs to be replaced with a better one?

Much as I hate it, I can't get high-speed internet where I live, so my only option is to try and eek more connection speed from my dial-up, and I'd greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Actually you can get HSI satellite. It is pricey but is a viable option.
You may pick up a few Kbps if you move to an external modem. External 56k modem.
You can go with a dialup router that can connect two telephone lines via 2 external modems. This of course requires a second telephone line and a second monthly internet connection fee. RouterFinder 102 Router
Have you conducted a speed test? To insure to are getting the speeds that are reported. http://www.toast.net

NOTE: I list sereval Items as examples. Sometimes a picture says it better.