Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows won't load anymore

• Please log in to reply

xsaberion

xsaberion

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Just 30 minutes ago, my computer suddenly reboots on it's own. I heard it reboot, but my monitor was off - I usually keep my computer on. After I heard it, I went to turn on my monitor, and watched it load until the Windows' screen started to load (the one with the logo and the bar). It froze on me, and 10 minutes into it, I turned it off...

Each time it tries to load Windows, it'd freeze up. In "use previous settings," it got as far as the system check - but froze after a 5 minute check. Safe mode doesn't seem to work neither - and every so often, any of the 3 methods for loading the computer would result in a sudden reboot of the computer.

I'm running Windows XP, and I've had it for over 2 years, and it was custom built. It is usually on, aside from the reboots, for 24/7. Nothing has been recently changed - last few days was on standby (just on). I also checked to see if it was overheating; wish it was that simple...

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Edit - 5 minutes later; I managed to get past the system check. I was greeted by the "blue screen of death," which only showed for 3 seconds before it rebooted my computer again...

Now I'm lost at ideas...

Edit - Changing thread title, to adjust for situation changes. (6/24)

Edited by xsaberion, 24 June 2006 - 01:54 AM.

Advertisements

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Do you remember what the BSOD said?

xsaberion

xsaberion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I didn't manage to see it, but I did manage to get it again after a few tries. I think it said the usual "machine" phrase in caps; and I recall it loading aprox. 60% of the screen in text, then another 10% worth of text before rebooting. I saw memory, but it was less than a second before it rebooted, so it's hard to tell.

I hope this helps, towards relieving me of my problem.

xsaberion

xsaberion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Update:

If I skip the system check, I can manage to get on to desktop. I used task manage to monitor my system. I didn't notice any thing weird, except the space for user name was blank, instead of the usual system or the user name I have.

I also tracked my memory usage, thinking it was from resources being drained. Out of the 5 times I checked, only once did it freeze at 90-100%. Other times, is random - even at 0-10%, it'd freeze. After it freezes up, it reboots 75% of the time.

What steps should I take now?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

xsaberion

xsaberion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I did the chkdsk /f /r - no problems at all. However, it did freeze up the 1st time I tried. Around 88%, but when I rebooted again, it did the scheduled check.

I'm still having problems with the computer - but this will be my 1st post using the computer with the problem in question. It's somewhat laggy still, but freezing isn't evident yet.

I'm still having problems where my user name isn't listed under the processes that load up with Windows. My browser however, is listed under my user name.

I'm able to load up Windows now - but it will eventually freeze up on it's own, followed by a reboot soon after 85% of the time, and 15% of the being only a freeze.

Should there be anything else I should check?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The check disc can appear to freeze when it hasn't, some PC's show the progress and apparent halts at stages is usual

This is pre-compiled and I have left check disc in as you could run it without disturbing it, though this is optional

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

xsaberion

xsaberion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I've deleted the files in prefetch, ran a disc cleaner and also defragmented. I'm waiting on my friend, to borrow an XP CD to continue. Is it okay to skip some steps?

I also had a question in regards to the defragmentation, can I do it more than once? Or is it the best it can be using what I've done the first?

Also, while I'm waiting on the CD, are there other steps too? Any info I should collect and post here also?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can skip the scan until you get the disc and carry on with chkdsk /f /r

You can run the defragmenter back to back, although if you have blue and green only it doesn't need doing

xsaberion

xsaberion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I've defragmented 2 times, and I still see a lot of red; so I'm going to do it a few more times. I did the check disk again also.

I've also cleaned up the computer, the hardware perspective. I double checked the fans for any problems, cleaned any types of dust also. After doing this though, I've had some problems.

Sounds start to lag up now, but the rest of the computer wouldn't lag. I had a problem like this before, but it resolved on it's own. The computer would still freeze up also, but no signs of rebooting.

Another problem that has happened, is the computer not booting into Windows, saying something called fastfat was missing - but if I just reboot normally, it'd go into the Windows. This occurs randomly...

Also, I can't get the CD yet - is there other things I can still do right now to remedy this? Or will it all come down to the scanning?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you run tune up yet

xsaberion

xsaberion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Funny enough, 2 hours after my previous post, my computer froze up on me again. Internet failed too, so I haven't downloaded the Tune Up yet. However, I'm trying to now.

For the past few, I've had Windows loaded with incredible lag. I checked the RAM chips. Anything else I could check for the lag that occurs? It eventually turns into a freeze; then an eventual reboot.

If there is any other hardware possibilities, please let me know.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is this how you checked the RAM Memory

Download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

Using Memtest

xsaberion

xsaberion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Oh no, it isn't how I checked... how do I use that? I just saw a lot of downloads and stuff when I clicked the link...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have winzip the second one down for CDR

The pre-compiled for floppy if you have a floppy drive

If you click using memtest it is a guide for using it