Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows won't load anymore

• Please log in to reply

xsaberion

xsaberion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I finally finished using Tune Up. Had a lot of trouble, where my computer would load in an already freezing and lagging state. Usually, this is accompanied by my processes being listed as blank. I tend to open my task manager now on start up, to monitor my usage in the performance.

I can't use floppy at the moment, so I'm going to try and load up the iso onto a CD and do the memtest.

After the Tune Up, and during the Tune Up, I still experienced the same situations of lag and freeze. But I noticed a lot of things that got removed, and nothing has gone wrong yet; so that's a good sign. Even if it doesn't solve my current problem.

Aside from the memory test that I'm working on now, and the things I've done already. Are there any other things I can do to help my computer and solve my freeze lag?

Thanks a lot for the all the help so far, and all the future help.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The memtest results will be of interest

From here, it will probably be a case of running diagnostics on one then another thing until the problem shows up

xsaberion

xsaberion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
My computer is going crazy now - it'd work for a while, and then mess up again. I couldn't load up at all, until I went to clean up the hardware. I took a pretty long time, to make sure there wasn't some dust any where also. I re-attached most of my hardware pieces and what not, cleaning them also - and now it's working again.

However, I'm getting a lot of problems in terms of sudden lag and skips. I'm starting to feel that it'll be related to the memory. I'm having some trouble using that memory test - I noticed it said a USB flash is possible? How can I go about doing that? That'd possible be easier for me, since CD and floppy are starting to become out of the question.

Thanks for baring with me, and my crazy computer.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, right click my computer, click properties, advanced, settings for performance, advanced, change for virtual memory, put the dot in system managed, click set, click OK and reboot

See if the lag reduces

xsaberion

xsaberion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I changed it to the system managed setting; but after the reboot, it froze the moment desktop loaded. But then a second reboot, I'm okay for now - it's lagging a bit still. The original settings were 768mb for minimum and 1536mb for maximum. Could it be that my hard-drive space isn't enough for the system managed setting?

How do I go about using the USB flash for the memory test?

-edit-

I also noticed my computer would last longer before freezing, if my user name or system is displaced in the task manager under the processes; could that mean anything? Or is it just coincidence?

Edited by xsaberion, 01 July 2006 - 10:11 AM.

xsaberion

xsaberion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I started noticing a reduction in lag after a few more reboots, about 30 or so, after switching to the system settings for the memory. And my user name or sytem is displayed more often, out of the amount of reboots that I've done.

So.. does this mean the problem is because of this? Or could there be more? Lag still shows up, but every so often, I'd still get a freeze - and BSoD shows up still. But I get the clean loading more often now.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete and confirm

Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up, click disable all then replace the ticks for the firewall, ant-virus and any anti-spyware programmes, click apply and reboot

I have moved the HJT Log here in case it is malware related

http://www.geekstogo...s...=119823&hl=

xsaberion

xsaberion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I managed to reduce the amount of lag I receive - and problems don't really occur anymore during the booting up process. However, my computer can still suddenly go into BSoD and reboot by itself. If it does reboot because of the BSoD, I lag up for the next reboot. But if I reboot it again, by logging out - it fixes itself. Is there anything that seems suspicious about this?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What checks have you done for the video card drivers and the temperatures

xsaberion

xsaberion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Most of my checks for the video card and temperature were physical tests. I tried switching to a video card that is working well, from another computer. I also used a thermometer to check the temperatures. I've also tried switching the RAM for another, trying to isolate the problem, if it's hardware based.

I also used the fan testing program. And my motherboard came with a program that lets me check the temperatures and other things.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check you have the latest video card drivers