Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

strange noise (not a fan i don't think)

• Please log in to reply

weirdfrog

weirdfrog

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I did do a search for "noisy computer" but all it brought up were unrelated things and then noises that were fans and such...I don't think that's this...

Recently, I've noticed a peculiar noise--call me strange, but I swear it wasn't there before...it's just a slightly louder noise coming from the tower when I'm opening things (online and off)..once they're open, it stops...and it's not *always* there, though most of the time it is....i don't even know how to describe it. :whistling:

It's like...just a slightly louder "chitter" than usual. I know, this sounds crazy. but it's there! and it wasn't before....if this sounds at all familiar to anyone? this thing's only a year old, so i hope it's not a sign of something going awry inside...

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-weirdfrog [Strange Noise]
22nd June 2006

weirdfrog – Hi & Welcome to – Geeks to Go –

It's like...just a slightly louder "chitter" than usual

Normal/usual – chitter – is your Hard Drive being accessed –

Open Task Manager by – Right Clicking – an – empty/open area – on the Task Bar – And then – Left Click – Task Manager – on the – Popup Menu – Then Minimize – Task Manager –

Now start opening – Programs/Applications or whatever – and observe & listen to this – Chitter – and see if it is in – Sync – with your –

1- Hard Drive LED –
2- and/or 2– CPU Usage – indication on – Task Manager –
3- And 3 –the – Mouse Cursor – Busy – Indicator – usually the – Hour Glass –

Now is it – Louder – or is just lasting longer – which would make The chitter – more noticeable – and therefore would – sound louder [??] –

this thing's only a year old, so i hope it's not a sign of something going awry inside...

You probably have added files – Applications – Programs – Utilities – to the Hard Drive – so it takes longer to search/seek the Hard Drive – You could do a – Hard Drive Defrag – to optimize your Hard Drive – which would lower this – Seek Time – [??] – which may lower the – Chitter Volume –

Another Noise Factor could be Temperature – which would result in Higher Fan Rotation Noise – and /or Hard Drive Noise – and longer & higher CPU Usage –

Download the free – Home Edition of Everest - http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/

Then Run – Quick Report –All Pages – Report – Then examine report & look thru the – [Sensor Section] – for Temperatures & Fan Speeds to see if any outstanding data exists – [??] Save this copy & use as a – Benchmark – for later comparison- [??]

Unless it is – Excessively Loud – I wouldn’t worry too much - Unless it gets progressively worse – then you can compare – Report Data – to help locate source/cause of noise – I would Backup Hard Drive – just in case it may be an early indication of a – Drive Problem – [??]

You may want to observe the CPU Heat Sink/Fan Assembly – to see if you do not have a – Dust Clogged Fins on Heat sink – if CPU Temperature is – High -

Jack123

weirdfrog

weirdfrog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hi jack :)

thanks...

it does seem to match up with the LED--it's when it's 'doing stuff'-- and if i was reading that graph thing in the task manager right, it seemed in sinc there as well....it's actually "louder" and more of a hard sound than it always was before (and it seems to 'do stuff' on it's own a fair bit)......

i downloaded that program and ran it as instructed...this is what the 'sensor' section says:

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type Winbond W83697HF (ISA 290h)
Motherboard Name Asus A7V8X-LA / A7V8X-MX SE

Temperatures:
Motherboard 34 °C (93 °F)
CPU 40 °C (104 °F)
SAMSUNG SP0802N 42 °C (108 °F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 2220 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.60 V
+3.3 V 3.31 V
+5 V 5.08 V
+12 V 11.31 V
+5 V Standby 4.85 V
VBAT Battery 3.25 V
Debug Info F FF 4C FF
Debug Info T 34 40 255
Debug Info V 64 00 CF BD B9 C5 FF (03)

Does that look okay? i don't know what the "normal" temperatures would be...

As for dust--I did pull a fair handful of dust & such from behind around what I assume is the fan area... (no doubt there's dust in there, I have two kids and four cats. *yikes* ...but I don't know how to "clean up" inside the tower...I've never opened one in my life and I'd be afraid of wrecking something...though I might have to, considering that i certainly can't afford to get someone else to do it. :blink: )...

What is a "heat sink"? and "hard drive defrag" <-- that one I have heard of, and if I understand it right it sort of tidies all the 'stuff' up so that things are located quicker...not sure how/where you do it from?

Thank you very much for your help so far, and i hope the extra questions aren't a pain in the arse. :whistling: (you must get tired of people who know next to nothing about their computers eh? I wish I knew more, just hard to learn on your own--nobody to teach, as believe it or not, I am the one in my family who knows the "most"--mainly because I'm good online...scary eh. :help: )

weirdfrog

weirdfrog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i also followed something else i saw and found the list of things that are running (i think i did this right)..through start-->run-->msconfig-->services tab ..it lists what's stopped and what's running and there's a massive list...i can't copy paste it though (won't let me)...they are 90% microsoft services, it says..with a four 'unknown's , "two GRISOFT,s.r.o" and one "Zone Labs LLC"....but they aren't ALL marked as running, some are "stopped".....

not a clue if this is helpful...thought i'd try and offer more though...i can only imagine how vague this all sounds...

(edited out this part as i did it.)

i don't know if it's just me...but the 'noise' seems to be getting more noticeable. i could just be over worried though.

it DOES seem to follow that LED light (it's green but sorta has amber come through when it's 'doing stuff')..but it's a louder noices happening WITH the normal noise sometimes.

harsher sounding.

Edited by weirdfrog, 24 June 2006 - 05:59 AM.

weirdfrog

weirdfrog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
oh, and here's the other thing many people seem to be asked for..i ran it too in case that helps :whistling:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:08:22 AM, on 24/06/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\sm56hlpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ALCXMNTR.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\VTTimer.exe
c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\XZTV45VP\HijackThis[1].exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://home.eastlink.ca/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapp...rch/search.html
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://red.clientapp...//www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapp...//www.yahoo.com
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPBootOp] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Boot Optimizer\HPBootOp.exe" /run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SMSERIAL] sm56hlpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LSBWatcher] c:\hp\drivers\hplsbwatcher\lsburnwatcher.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak software updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add To Compaq Organize... - C:\PROGRA~1\HEWLET~1\COMPAQ~1\bin/module.main/favorites\ie_add_to.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes0521.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes0521.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra button: Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm (HKCU)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm (HKCU)
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

weirdfrog

weirdfrog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i found and did a defrag (took a while! quite full of scattered stuff i guess)....didn't change the noise that's happening though...still there, that harsher sounding chitter.

(good to have done it though no doubt, as it seemed quite cluttered)

rather afraid this is physical and something is going awry in there...but should it, after only a year? not even, actually, as it was last august that we bought this...that quick?

oy, to go 'round saving everything on cds...i have 'recovery' disks made (had help with those), but everything else, no...anything i added past the first day i had it...and i don't even know how to save anything on a cd. well, except music..i know how to make cds with windows media player.

Scrilla

Scrilla

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I've heard of a similar problem, his fix was to either regrease the HD (Which I'll doubt you want to do) or buy a new one.