Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

burning smell

• Please log in to reply

okeee

okeee

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I smelt someting burning from the system case. While pc was on, the fan from the power supply was not turning. It is an antec power supply. The pc runs good, no sound or anything else. Why is this?

Advertisements

LouiseMorris

LouiseMorris

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Umm i'm not really that great with computers but to me it sounds like ur fan is way dusty.. try cleaning the fan, that will prob help.. also explains the non-turning and the burning (same thing happened to my old comp and scared the bejesus outta me)

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
the power supply is new, so it's not dirty.

LouiseMorris

LouiseMorris

• Pip
  • 9 posts
umm i don't mean the acual power supply.. just the cooling fan.. try taking a hover to it.. i heard taht works :whistling:

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
shouldn't the fan of the power supply run when the pc is on?

LouiseMorris

LouiseMorris

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Yep the fan should be on

Sierra54

Sierra54

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I just installed an antec smartpower 2.0 500W & I believe that the fan visible at the rear of the case does not spin up until a certain temperature is reached. If you built this system open it and examine everything to look for obvious sign that something is baking. Also, double check all of the connections. If you purchased this prebuilt I'd call whom ever built it for service. How long have been using this before it started to smell?

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I have this power supply:
Antec Lifestyle Sonata II EC/MT (450W)
the power supply is new, so it's not dirty

how can I test of the fan turns when it is supposed to turn, at some amount of temperature?

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
There are a bunch of diagnostic bits of software that monitor fan behaviour and temperature and these will give you an idea of what is happening in your computer, for example speedfan (freeware). With this configured correctly you can even tell a fan at what temperature to kick into action.

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

The other thing, if you haven't already tried - is to open your PC case and observe it while it is running. You might actually be able to see (and link with changing sounds when, say, a fan kicks in.

Hope this helps.

Digikiwi

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well i wouldnt run the pc until you got the fan sorted out you could do some major damage.

if the fan isnt working on your power supply that thing is getting way hot! have you seen the capacitors in those things????

if something goes wrong and your power sully fails and shorts or blows it very well could damage your motherboard CPU and RAM also it could damage your grahics card.

if this is a brand new ps i would just take it back and say it was faulty and then ask for a replacement

troppo

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Good Point Troppo, especially if it is the PSU. One way to eliminate it out of the equation would be to disconnect all its power outlets, perhaps even remove it from the system case and run it on its own. However, if nothing is drawing power off it then it might not get that hot even if it is the cause of the problem. But to me it's not entirely certain that the PSU is the origin of the burning smell.

Digikiwi

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
The PSU fan should run constently when the pc is on the only time that it will turn of is when you shut down the pc.

if the PSU is brand new like you say it is just get it replaced. no offence but you would be stupid not to.
You could damage maybe a thousand dollars if not more of PC components all for a silly and easy replacement.

another thing that you should cheack is the capacitors on the motherboard. they usually have a "K" punched in the top of them they look like this:

(K)

and can be a range of colours. if the caps are raised and look like they are bulging. your CPU could be overheating and that could be the cause of the smell. mainly look around at the CPU's capacitors.

when it comes to power supplies and things being faulty with them dont risk it what so ever. you could do more damage than just damage to your pc like house fires and the whole lot. just replace it
take it back from where you got it and tell them it was faulty and ask for a replacement

troppo

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
there are two fans and 1 fan should only run if an amount of temperature is reached.

I would like to install a program that can measure if all components of the pc still work correctly. What program could I use?

The DIY Person

The DIY Person

• Pip
  • 8 posts
You Should Get a Fan System To Control There Speed Of Them !