Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hai- dvd drive messed up

• Please log in to reply

LouiseMorris

LouiseMorris

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hai again.. well my dvd drive has been messed up for ages and i finally gonna admit defeat and ask for help..

Well its a Pioneer dvd-rom dvd-113.. and i installed it myself (heh prob why it so messed up :blink: )..

It does open and close.. so it seems to be connected correctly internally, but it will not read any kind of disc put in. I've checked and reinstalled the drivers, even checked for updates.. but it doesn't seem to help.

When i mean it won't read any type of disc i mean, even the busy light won't flash, it constantly thinks its empty...

umm hope thats enuff info to help, i'll stay online for a while.. if any1 can help i'd b very grateful :whistling:

Advertisements

nevets68

nevets68

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi -

When you go into MY COMPUTER...is the DVD drive listed?

LouiseMorris

LouiseMorris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
yep its listed, just won't read any cd's

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Have you tried inserting ordinary CDs (instead if DVDs) into the drive? Does it read them?

If it wont read CD either then please try the following :

1) Power off the machine

2) open up the case

3) Without touching the motherboard etc if possible, can you check the ribbon cable connections. Check that the cable is fully & evenly inserted into the rear of the DVD drive & also into the motherboard at the other end. Check this by pressing firmly on the top of the plastic connector on each end of the ribbon cable. Start by pressing on one side (eg left side) of the connector, then the opposite side (right side).

If this still doesn't help, then please let me know the following things:

Do you have any other optical drives installed?

When you installed the DVD drive, did you place it on the primary or secondary IDE controller (ribbon cable)?
Is it jumpered as Master/Slave or CS?
Does it share the ribbon cable with another drive (optical or hard drive)?