Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Defragementation

• Please log in to reply

DeadEye

DeadEye

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hey ive heard of a few different defrag programs, but what do you guys think would be the optimal one for gaming? I just use the windows one right now but with all these new games computers startin to run a little slow :whistling:

So I was jus wonderin if anybody knew a Defrag program that optimized in gaming performance?

Thanks,
-Mike

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
All a defrag program does is look for all the bits of your files and puts them together next to each other. So it doesn't matter which defrag program you use, they'll all do exactly the same job in differing amounts of time.

You may have other issues with your system relating to your gaming though, which could include hardware beginning to die, malware, or even a flaky Windows installation.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I use diskkepper 10 myself, windows uses an older version of the diskkepper defrag, its faster than windows and offers slightly better performance but its not alot just a little more.

DeadEye

DeadEye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

All a defrag program does is look for all the bits of your files and puts them together next to each other. So it doesn't matter which defrag program you use, they'll all do exactly the same job in differing amounts of time.

You may have other issues with your system relating to your gaming though, which could include hardware beginning to die, malware, or even a flaky Windows installation.

Nah its not my computer, its the new demanding games take alot more so it goes slower. I thought I heard of some Defrag somewhere that was supposed to put your files in order for optimal performance instead of the way windows does, but guess not, thx tho!

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I tried PerfectDisk by Raxco. It defrags by the amount of changes to a file. If you change it often, the file will be placed in an area with more free space. If it's occassionally used, it goes into a space for files that are occasionally used. If the file is never changed, such as most software, those files are placed together.

This is the URL. I tried it and it seems good but it's not freeware. You can download a 30-day trial version but then you have to buy it or uninstall it.

http://www.raxco.com.../perfectdisk2k/