Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Update manager misbehaving

• Please log in to reply

jbryant200

jbryant200

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I continue to get a loop that goes like this: "Update manager keep trying to find a file" Then I get a screen that says, " Windows installer cannot continue, no valid source could be found". This began after downloading some trial software from Corel. I removed the software, but the problem continues with the update manager.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what is update manager? what is it for?

jbryant200

jbryant200

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
This is the first you've contacted me, and so fast! I just posted this afternoon. Update manager appears to be a microsoft program. I've never seen it before. Perhaps it came with the corel wordperfect download...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hmm, I am still not clear on what this is

Could you please download Hijackthis from my signature, then ATTACH a log file (DO NOT POST) so I can take a look at what you have running

jbryant200

jbryant200

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm sorry, I don't understand your instructions about your signature and not posting. I turned the update manager loop off by crl alt del and end task. Please try clarifying what you want me to do.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
beneath my name you will find a link to HIJACKTHIS

download and run it, and save a log, then attach it

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that program seems to use the installshield engine to update programs,,,,you say it happened after installing corelwordperfect?

You could remove those settings

Start hijack and put checks next to the following to entries

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe" -startup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start

click FIX....

jbryant200

jbryant200

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
That's the answer. The process called for was ISUSPM.exe in the error messages.

I'd sure like to be good at this like you. Many thanks!