Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows runs extremely slow- pls help

• Please log in to reply

Thanh Tran

Thanh Tran

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm sorry if I post this in a wrong section. :whistling:
My problem is that my computer runs extremely slow even though it is not an old, obsolete one. I just purchased it about 2 months ago. Since it takes me a lot of time- about 2 hour driving- to go to the store and get tech. support, I haven't talked to the technicians there about my computer problems yet.
It takes about 4-5 minutes for my computer to startup everytime I turn it on, also it takes at least 1-2 minutes to shut it down completely. I believe thae speed is extremely slow for such a computer like mine. In addition, the program response time is very slow too, and I can see it defintely when comparing it with my old computer. It takes too much time to open up any program on my new computer such as: Firefox, Winamp, Nero, Word, Excel... This doesn't happen on my old computer. I have no idea why it runs that slow. I read PC magazines and PC stuff often, and I was informed that AMD dual core chip runs faster and more stable than Intel chip. It was the reason why this time I chose to buy an AMD product computer instead of Intel. However, it really disappoints me. Below is my new computer's spec, the one I'm having problem with, and my old computer's spec, the one running fast and smoothly. I hope anyone here can help me figure out what's wrong with my computer or give me any suggestion. I greatly appreciate it.

* New computer:
AMD Athlon TM 64 X2 Dual Core, CPU 4400+ ( 2.20 Ghz)
2GB of RAM, PC3200, DDR400 Dual Channel
250GB, 7200rpm, 8MB cache SATA hard drive
400 Watt Max Output Supply
PCI Express x16
Realtek AC97 Audio
Radeon R Xpress 200
Bus speed: 200Mhz
Bios: Phoenix 6.00PG
12-in-1 card drive
2 IEEE 1394 firewire ports
6 USB 2.0 ports
16x DVD-ROM
16x DVD Double Layer Dual Format Burner
Windows XP Media Center SP2
Sygate Pro. Firewall- NOD32 anti-virus

* Old computer:
Intel Pentium 4 3200 Mhz, CPU 3.2Ghz
1GB of RAM
120GB IDE hard drive
Realtek AC97 Audio
NVIDIA GeForce FX5200
Bus speed: 200MHz
FSB: 800Mhz
Bios: Phoenix 6.00PG
48x DVD-ROM
48x CD-RW DVD-RW
Windows XP Pro SP2
Sygate Pro Firewall- NOD32 anti-virus

How come my new computer sucks? I thought it will be a lot better than the old one. I have no problem like program errors, installation, pop-up....It's just the big problem it runs incredibly slow. Oh by the way, I sometimes experience this kind of problem with my new computer is that the screen suddenly just blows up. I mean every icon on the screen suddenly gets bigger and the color is totally messed up. When it happens, I lose control of the mouse and I have to restart by pressing the restart button. Anyone who knows of a solution for any of my problem please help me out. :blink:

Edited by Thanh Tran, 22 June 2006 - 04:29 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Right click application and choose CLEAR ALL EVENTS, do not save the log
Right click system and choose CLEAR ALL EVENTS, do not save the log

Reboot. Work with computer until error recurs. reboot

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

Thanh Tran

Thanh Tran

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply. I just did as you told me to do, and I'm waiting to see if any problem will occur. I will post the list here when I get it.