Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Setting-Up Win98 on a Different Partition?

• Please log in to reply

niteghost

niteghost

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hope this is the Right section
Doing a MultiBoot setup here, have XP Pro on the primary C:\ and allocated another Partition formatted to FAT32 for Win98.
How do U install Win98 using the Win98 Bootup Floppy Disk, to specify the Partition that I have allocated for Win98?

It has been sooooooooo ... long since I install Win98 , am pretty much sure that it install to Default C:\ obviously.
When I tried to install Win98 to another directory , when I was given an option during Installation I get an error SU 0343 >>> Cannot istall into the specify directory. Plese help
,thx
Screenshot of my HD Layout

http://img7.picsplac...g7/22/MY_HD.png

Edited by niteghost, 22 June 2006 - 04:46 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You need to install Windows 98 first into its own partition and then install XP into another partition (which would be the rest of the space not used up by 98). XP will then sort the dual-boot menu out.

The problem you have with Windows 95, 98 and ME is that they are not designed to dual-boot with, well, anything else really. They insist on being the only operating system on the drive and complain if you try to do otherwise.

niteghost

niteghost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

You need to install Windows 98 first into its own partition and then install XP into another partition (which would be the rest of the space not used up by 98). XP will then sort the dual-boot menu out.

The problem you have with Windows 95, 98 and ME is that they are not designed to dual-boot with, well, anything else really. They insist on being the only operating system on the drive and complain if you try to do otherwise.

Heard there is a way around it, if U have XP already install. Am looking for that way., heard that a Boot Manager like Bootmagic and Acronis OS selector can be employed to do just that. So far I am Not having much luck using Both of them.
I know M$crosoft recommend that , installing Win98 first. but that means I have to dismantle XP, if I am going to have both OS on the same Disk with a different Partition

Edited by niteghost, 22 June 2006 - 05:28 PM.