Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OHPE Virus, I think.

• Please log in to reply

Nicholas Preator

Nicholas Preator

• Pip
  • 2 posts
About every 10 to 15 seconds, the following pops up from a little yellow caution sign on my icon bar.

"Security Alert!
System encountered spyware that collects your personal information without your consent. This information includes passwords, credit card details, and other private data. Click the icon to learn more ways to protect your files."

Also, every hour or so, a message box pops up saying the following:

"Critical System Error

Please read this message carefully.
Your PC is infected by spyware. Spyware and other unwanted software refers to programs that perform certain tasks on your computer, typically without your consent. This can include installing pop-up advertising or collecting your personal information. Anti-spyware tools can only help rid your computer of spyware.

Click "OK" to get software and special offers on antivirus software."

Now, I don't remember where, but I saw on my computer something called OHPE. The same program that's causing those pop-ups made this pop up too, but since then has not done it. I did a search for OHPE, and found a post on these forums where someone else had the same problem. I tried following the steps you gave him, but it didn't seem to work. I searched and found a few other posts, but I had no results from the testing.

Today I noticed my computer is running about 10% slower, and even lags when I open a new window in FireFox... Which is extremely strange. I download McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware program, and ran full scans - deleting, or containing everything harmful. I then rebooted my computer, and have the same problem. I use FireFox, not IE so most online diagnostic tools for my computer (such as it's specs and current hardware) will not work. I could open IE, but I get a third pop-up that makes me weary of doing so, it says

"Computer running slow? Homepage changed? Internet running at half speed? Annoying pop-ups? Click here to get help."

Which is another pop up I believe that is caused by this same virus thing. I'm afraid to open IE and have 50 pop ups come up, run really slow, and lag my computer more. Any help is welcomed, thanks for your time even if you can't help! If there's anything I can do to make your job easier, please let me know.

I have MSN ([email protected])
and can get on AOL if you'd like, but I hate AOL as much as pentium, and I hope it dies. Thanks!
-np-

Edited by Nicholas Preator, 22 June 2006 - 07:12 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.