Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Massive Computer Restarting

• Please log in to reply

Cate_Archer

Cate_Archer

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm pretty sure my computer doesn't restart every single second (not literally) because of malware, I have AVG and some other things that take care of that. Today I just got done fixing my internet (with the help of a technician of course) and it works great. Fast, dependable. It was one of my problems and it got solved.

BUT ALAS! THE RESTARTING!

Okay so, soon as summer started, my pc starts its little restarting gig. It does this I've found, repeatedly when the computer overheats internally, it'll restart. I've had my pc for about a good 3 years, replaced it once but got like the exact same kind, emachines windows XP.

I think its dirty inside my lil box er, hardrive, or whatever you call that big box. I'm afraid because if its too hot for me to be on my pc the crap inside of it will melt and I'll lose everything I have on here.

Btw, if this helps, my computer is in the garage, with no air conditioning what so over except I tried putting a fan high blast next to it to try and cool it down once but it helped only a bit (starting time every 10-20 minutes). My garage is like, an extra room. carpet, desk, lamp, supplies and other garagely stuff, cept for a sofa I lounge on from time to time..and yeah. We kept it in the garage (my computer) for convience.

And its rather stuffy and humid in here...

Anyway...

Help?

Advertisements

nic777

nic777

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
have you tried cleaning out the power supply, and all the fans?

Edited by nic777, 22 June 2006 - 08:33 PM.

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Clean the case inside, put another fan in the case. If that doesnt help then probably the CPU cooler is not good enough for that CPU. Try replacing it with another better one with copper heatsing and higher RPM. Or you could put water cooling.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go Cate_Archer.

Try their suggestions for cleanning. Afterwords, if the problem still exists, do this:

Download Speed Fan and install it.

Start Speed Fan. When it is fully loaded, take a screen shot of the first screen by pressing Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint and paste. Save the screenshot as a JPEG and post it in a reply to me. Now click on the tab called S.M.A.R.T.. Select your hard drive by using the drop-down box at the top. Now take a screenshot of that as well. Post it in your reply to me as well.

NOTE: For certain computers, Speed Fan will not display accurate measurements. If the temperature wildly fluctuates or doesn't change at all, let me know, otherwise I will believe the mesurements are accurate.

This information will help us to determine what the best course of action will be.

nic777

nic777

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I dont recomend watercooling had troubles with that one :whistling:

Cate_Archer

Cate_Archer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
For computerwiz12890, took the screenshots, I hope its what you wanted LOL

And thanks for the others for the advice. I should beg for a new fan from my parents :whistling:

Attached Thumbnails

• fan_1.JPG
  • fan_2.JPG

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Holy Snikeys! :whistling:

74 degrees Celcius!! :blink: Might as well be directly in the sun. That definately needs to be addressed. Something tells me all the coolers and fans in the world won't bring the temperature down to an acceptable level. You can try adding a bigger better fan, and maybe more heat sinks, but I think it really think you need to move it out of that garage.

And then the power supply's voltages are off. This means that the heat may not be the cause of your restarting, but it will definately cause other problems in the future.

Here's what you do:

1. Move the computer out of the garage. Give it at least 2 hours to cool off. Turn it on and see if the problem still exists. If so, move on to #2.

2. Replace the Power Supply. If you are still having the issues after replacing it (which I doubt), you can return the new Power Supply and get your money back and we'll move on.

nic777

nic777

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
What watt is ur power supply?, A good ones around 50 $ wich is a lot, post back your powersupply watts

Cate_Archer

Cate_Archer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
watt power supply? I have NO idea LOL!

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
We'll worry about that at a later time. See how the computer performs when it is out of the garage for 2 hours. If the problem still exists, which I have a feeling it will, we'll guide you on how to choose a suitable replacement for your power supply. And then walk you through actually replacing it, if you need us to.

Cate_Archer

Cate_Archer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP! AND everyone else on this topic :whistling:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
You're welcome :whistling:

Let us know how it goes after being out of that garage, and we'll continue from there.