Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clean install of Windows XP not working

• Please log in to reply

Jesse G

Jesse G

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, I would really appreciate it if someone helps me out with this problem I'm having. I have read a lot of people's stories that had the same problem that I'm having with installing Windows XP on a new system. I formatted the hard drive, it rebooted and then it starts installing windows but stops with 33 minutes remaining. It freezes my computer and I've tried almost everything. I read that you should unplug all USB cords from the computer I've done that and still no luck. Does anyone know what else I should be trying?

Thanks a bunch.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

Using Memtest

If the memory checks out as OK

Use this to format the drive with the autonuke option which takes 8 hours

To completely erase all data on the drive(s)

Download Boot and Nuke

Using Boot and Nuke

Run XP set up and use the default NTFS format, not quick, also check it is creating a RAW partition on C, if the drive letter is different, reboot the PC and it will default to C

Jesse G

Jesse G

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Should I be downloading it from a computer that actually has an OS and putting it on a DVD? Sorry, new to this... the computer I'm having issues with has nothing on it right now.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Either memtest or boot and nuke will fit on floppies or CDR but need to be on seperate ones

You will need a computer with an OS to download them

Both of the Using sections are clickable for more information

Jesse G

Jesse G

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Actually, since starting the installation process, I can't put any CD in the drive other than the installation disc. It asks for the same Windows XP install disc because it automatically tries to start the setup again. It gets stuck right at the hardware installation process.. sooo frustrating.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you burn both of those programs per the instructions on their respective websites to a cd...then they will be bootable cd's...in which case all you will need to do is make sure that your bios is set to boot from cd...and make sure to press the "any" key when it asks