Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with wireless... help needed.

• Please log in to reply

.excel

.excel

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
This is my first post asking help here, so please bear with me...

I had a big problem with malware on my friend's Compaq notebook (he's let me borrow it for an extensive amount of time). I followed the instructions to remove spyware from the computer, including Smitfraud and WinFixer. As far as I know, all of the malware is gone.

After rebooting back into normal XP mode from safe mode, I went into Add/Remove programs, and checked for anything I might've missed. While there, I deleted a few AOL applications and toolbars that have been on the computer since I borrowed it from my friend. Previously, when back in Safe Mode, my internet worked fine. But after deleting those AOL programs, it no longer worked.

At first, I thought I might've deleted a driver. So I downloaded and installed the updated drivers for my network card. No dice. Still doesn't work. I spent about an hour in a chat with a Compaq tech, again to no avail. I've checked IP addresses, Network settings, and my next step would be to configure my router (if I knew how to do this...). I really have no idea why the wireless refuses to work on the notebook, but still works on the desktop I'm using as I'm writing this.

So, if anyone has ANY ideas on what to do about this problem, by all means, post here and help me out!

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

.excel

.excel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Ok, here's the log. Hope it helps you...

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
oh yeah, that helped plenty. You're infected.

Please follow all the directions found here. (or at least as many as you can) After you get to step 5, if your problem is not resolved, post a HijackThis log in the Malware forum. If your problem persists after getting a clean bill of health from a malware expert, return here and we'll continue troubleshooting.

Keep in mind, the malware forum is very busy and can take up to 5 days to receive a reply. There is a special forum called The Waiting Room if you've been waiting for 3 or more days. You can put a link to your topic & a short description of your problem and someone will get with you soon.

.excel

.excel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Yeah, I thought I cleared those up earlier. Are the infections still caused by Smitfraud and Virtumonde?

Guess I'll have a go at them tomorrow then...

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Not sure. I'm not a malware expert. When you take it to the Malware forum they'll get you COMPLETELY cleaned. They do an excellent job! :whistling:

.excel

.excel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I think re-doing all those steps solved it. Thanks for the help.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Cool. :whistling:

Glad we could help :blink: