Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems streaming video

• Please log in to reply

0utlaw

0utlaw

• Pip
  • 3 posts
ehllo, everytime i try and sttream video using mozilla firefoxor ie (windows media 11) it always streams the audio and not the video it just has a blank black screen

anyone know how to fix this???

thanks in advance

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you probably need to look at video codecs.

0utlaw

0utlaw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
how do i do that

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
what are you streaming/playing

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
To clarify, Firefox requires a "plug-in" in order for you to watch video from certain programs. For example, if you are streaming video from Windows Media Player, you will need to find a plugin for it. If you are streaming using the Real Player, you need this plugin. Please note that this plugin plays the following extensions: ram, rpm, wmv, wm, wma, asx, asf, and more. So this will not only allow you to watch the Windows Media Player movies, but also Real Player, etc.

Zookster

Zookster

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm new to this forum and found this site by googling for this particular problem ... no streaming video though the audio still works in both Firefox and IE, running the most current versions of both. I believe I have all the necessary plug ins in either case (Windows Media Player, Real Player, Quicktime). I started having the problem very recently after upgrading from ME to XP Home with SP2 and downloading Mozilla Firefox. I'm using an older Compaq Presario with 256MB Ram and cable broadband. I've also tried turning off firewalls and adding the web sites in question (msn video and netflix to view streaming movie trailers and news bits) to my Trusted Sites list under Security in Internet Options. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Zookster

Zookster

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK, maybe I can help someone now. After fiddling with this problem for a couple of hours I finally double checked my Windows Media Player Options, Performance tab, and noticed it was still set to 56K (getting broadband was also a recent upgrade for me). Once I changed it to T1 1.5 Mbs, BOOM!, problem solved. Am now steaming video on the sites in question. BTW, you can only stream video from msn using IE (big surprise!) That site won't work with Firefox, and they tell you as much. May we all genuflect before the altar of the almighty Bill Gates.