Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Access Point but no internet

• Please log in to reply

nickname

nickname

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I recently purchased a used dell latitude laptop that came with a linksys wireless-b network adapter (model wpc11). When I check the WLAN Monitor it says it is connected to the access point but can not find the internet. My desktop is connected wirelessly to the network and at one point the internet was connected, but then lost the connection again. I entered the dns settings manually (192.168.1.1) and still no luck. any ideas, thanks!

Advertisements

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
The ip address you gave is usually the address of a router. What router is it?

nickname

nickname

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i was able to get it working again, something stupid like just setting up a home network on the latop. it was a linksys router model befw11s4 but i think it might be good for now. thanks anyway

nickname

nickname

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
never mind the same problem is back, what i mentioned didnt work. any help or suggestions, thanks!!

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi nickname,

Please goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> then type: IPCONFIG /ALL - please post the results here by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum. Alternately, you can save your information to a text file by using the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL > C:\ipconfig.txt -- navigate to that text file, and copy/paste the information from it.

And just out of curiosity; when you ran the networking setup wizard, was your computer able to connect consistantly for a period of time? Have you ever been able to get the Internet working on this computer for any length of time? Are you using any type of Encyrption (WEP, WAP)?

nickname

nickname

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hey dan, thanks for getting back to me. After numerous attempts, I eventually got through to someone on the linksys support chat who helped me solve the problem. She had me change the settings on the router such as the beacon level and rts and fragmentation threshold. It has worked so far, but I appreciate you taking the time to help me. Thanks Again!