Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

memory

• Please log in to reply

chrism01767

chrism01767

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i have a A7V8X mtherboard running on 512 ddr 400 the boad is dual channel i want to add a stick of 512 pc 2700 it clocks up on boot up i see windows logo just as it gets to desktop it restarts and sometimes i get a message wich says primary slave drive failed if i restart it it does exactly the same apart from the message im running xp sp2 can anyone piont me in the right direction many thanks for your time

Advertisements

chrism01767

chrism01767

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
please dont take this the wrong way but there must be someone who can help this is my second post and no replies :whistling: am i on the right site this is geeks to go or have they gone :blink:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G chrism01767

Firstly, can you confirm one or two small points please :

1. You had 512MB DDR400 installed. You then added a 512MB stick of DDR333 (pc2700), right? Did you try to run these 2 sticks in dual channel mode or not?

2. Can you try removing the second stick of memory (ie the PC2700)? Does the system boot properly when its removed?

(If the system does boot normally after removing the second stick & the slave drive no longer fails, then ignore the remaining questions)

3. I assume you have 2 drives installed on the primary IDE channel. Is this correct & if so, are they both hard drives or is the slave an optical drive?

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
plus why would you want to add a stick of pc2700? do you relise that it will slow your entire system down?

the pc3200 (400mhz) will downclock or underclock to the speed of your 2700.

it would be better to just either buy a new stick of pc3200 or leave the 512 in.

you can get 512 of RAM pretty cheap now i would just buy a new stick
but thats my opinion

troppo