Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

failure to load BIOS

• Please log in to reply

racox2005

racox2005

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a PC that won't start up... it continuously reboots every time it starts to POST. I don't know what to do. There are no beeps. It also won't turn off via the I/O button. The power supply must be removed externally. It is a newer emachine running Windows XP, has an Intel Celeron processor (2.7 Ghz), 256 MB DDR SDRAM, and a 40 GB HD. I thought that the capacitor might be bad, but there are no visible signs of leaking, deformation, burns, etc. From what little I can tell, it's either the power supply, some component of the motherboard, or the CPU. Any ideas on what I should do?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
take everything off of the board except the proc (yes...take the ram off too)...try to boot...do you get any beeps this time? if so...put one stick of ram? same beep as before? or different beep? switch that stick for another stick (assuming you have more than one stick..if not ignore) same beep or diff beep?

if after replacing the ram...you get a different beep that when there was no ram...go ahead and put the video card back in (if you only have an onboard video card...then...well you could leave the monitor plugged in for the duration of all of these tests to watch the progres...report what you see at each step) and hook your monitor up...when you boot...do you get the beep? does it get past bios? can you get into bios?

if you can get into bios/past bios go ahead and hook up your primary HD and see if you can boot up

racox2005

racox2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay--it's emitting steady, short beeps. It's the same with and without the RAM stick (I only have one). The monitor doesn't display anything. I guess it's power supply that's the problem?

Edited by racox2005, 23 June 2006 - 01:10 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
...like multiple beeps? in succession? is this with all the ram out? or what...what step of the process started the beeps?

racox2005

racox2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It looks like I was mistaken about the beeping. I apologize. It beeps the same with everything installed and plugged in. The beeps are almost drowned out by the fan on the CPU, that's why I didn't notice them before. They are short, successive beeps. Lots of them--they don't stop. There is no break or pause, but they are evenly spaced.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
do you know what type of bios you have? (pheonix, ami, award?)

IN GENERAL (can't be sure without the bios type)...continuous beeping is either ram or video problems (i'm not being vague...they are)..

go to www.memtest.org and follow their instructions for making abootable memtester and run it for at least 2 hours (report any errors....especially the error i'm expecting which is that you can't even run this...but...let's try anyway)

also...onboard graphix or expansion graphix (pci, pcie, agp)?

racox2005

racox2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I do not know what type of bios I have, or how to find out. I'm unfamiliar with the graphics on this computer, but the documentation says Intel Extreme Graphics 3D, and it's onboard.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
yech...i hope it's a ram issue...cuz if it's the video...there may be issues...do you have a spare expansion type video card lying around?

racox2005

racox2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No, I don't.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
probably wouldn't help anyway...as you'd need the onboard card to help install the new one ...but it's worth a shot when you've got one...

let's try the memtest stuff and see if we can get anywhere (this is looking VERY MUCH like a bad mobo or video card)

racox2005

racox2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yeah, so, after having difficulty just finding a floppy.... it didn't work. The computer didn't read the floppy drive at all.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
....it's VERY likely that the hte motherboard has an issue...is it under warranty?

racox2005

racox2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No, it's not under warranty. It expired last year.

racox2005

racox2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
So, I'm guessing that the best recommendation is to replace the motherboard, or at least take it to someone with more equipment than I have.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
...unfortunately it's not gonna be very easy/possible to troubleshoot this much further here...my suggestion would be either to bring it in to a shop...or something like that....motherboard issues are pretty difficult to fix over the internet