Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

building a new PC

• Please log in to reply

rollyt

rollyt

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I am looking at building a new PC
Example I would like to install
Processor - Pentium4 speed of 2 to 3 GHz
Ram - 512 Mb
Hard Drive - 80 to 120 GB at 7200 rpm
Optical drive - CD / DVD RW
Modem Type - v.90/v.92 internal
Audio/Video - video card with aTV outlet
Case with a gigbyte motherboard
i would like to know what are the pitfalls,do you get technical support when buying these components so you don't stuff-up the installation.
is there a procedure as to how to install these components properly?
any help in building a new PC would be appricated

Regards Rolly

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
welcome to geekstogo
I would look into going with an AMD xp chip they are faster then the p4. here is a site to step by step on building your own pc CLICK HERE
<_<

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts

I am looking at building a new PC
Example I would like to install
Processor - Pentium4 speed of 2 to 3 GHz
Ram - 512 Mb
Hard Drive - 80 to 120 GB at 7200 rpm
Optical drive - CD / DVD RW
Modem Type - v.90/v.92 internal
Audio/Video - video card with aTV outlet
Case with a gigbyte motherboard

looks good so far... you might want to take the suggestion made by tazz about amd vs. intel

what kind of computer will this be used for?

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Soxrok is right. What will this computer be used for? If it's for gaming go with the AMD. If it's for multimedia go with the Intel. I would recommend getting a 256MB graphics card and installing another 256MB of memory onto the system bringing the memory to 768MB. I also think you should look at getting a nice sound card like the Creative Audigy 2 ZS or something like that. By the way what is your budget? :whistling:

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
lol Anton nice dream pc also the build looks semi solid i would change from a intel to a AMD if you can get a X2 even better also try to get a sata hardrive rather than a ide and i recommend to go with Western Digital

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Thanks for the advice! :whistling: But I think I am going to stick with the Intel Pentium Extreme Edition because there is no AMD processor as fast as my Intel...yet... :) . Western Digital sounds like a good buy. Can I get 1,500GB of of three of them? :help: By the way, this isn't a dream machine, this is really my computer. If you don't believe me check out this link

http://www.dell.com/...e/renegade.html

I think you will like it! :blink:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
ACtually anton an FX-60 is the fastest overclocked chip at the moment.

Lol anton you dnot want to brag on here we discussed the renegade a while ago and came to the conclusion of a rather poor opinion of it, especially the price it is at good $1500 more than you can build yourself and alot more than even a custom from a really good brand voodoo and amari are both better and cheaper than dell and its renegade and xps range and they come with high quality parts and hand built water cooling systems.

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Well, the guy that answered above me thought this was a dream machine, not my actual computer. So I corrected him. :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well actually you just gave him a link to a product page for all he and anyone else still knows it could be just smething you have made up.

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Dell XPS 600 Renegade Limited
Intel Pentium Extreme Edition (4.26GHz, OC @ 4.64GHz)
1,500GB Raid 0 (performance) hard drive
nVidia SLI Quad 512MB 7900GTX (2GB total graphics memory)
4GB DDR3 memory
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatal1ty
7.1 surround sound wireless speaker system+Subwoofer
Wireless mouse/keyboard
Dual TV tuner
Dell Ultrasharp 30" widescreen LCD moniter
Ageia Physx card

:whistling: :blink: :) :) :help: :) :) :D

One word....WOW :D

One curiosity...how much did that cost you?!?!!?

Edited by MaverickSidewinder, 12 May 2006 - 07:16 AM.

Advertisements

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
It cost me about $9,600, and let me say one thing, It wasn't easy to get! :whistling:

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Thanks for the reply...yeah I saw the site and it was a L.E. (limited edition)...

I still can't believe those specs...

Especially the Quad Sli and the CPU...

:whistling:

I bet it stutters on Age of Empires huh :blink:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol, anton will have a heart attack if he ever finds out for how much less he could have got a better system for.

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Really? You can get a better pc than that? Please tell me master :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well there are proper custom builders that make pcs of that type but they hand design them and only use the best components all custom engineered water cooling and hand finished cases, they are very nice. They have a much better level of quality and finish than the xps systems and have a much higher level of customization they are also usually going to be cheaper than an XPS dell overcharge on the higher end to pay for the low end.

What i would really love is a armari amazing systems the quality is just beyond comparison, and they overclock the bejeesus out the systems. And they come with top notch peripherals as well all hand painted as well. And then my other favorite is voodoo they have the hand painted custom laser etched lian li cases which i love.

You also get the powerful workstations that cost alot more and have alot of power but they arent for gaming. Mind you those systems are nice if youve got alot of cash and enough of it to get a new pc every year but the best way to always have a great pc is to build them yourself and do it more often the end pcs arent as powerful as you dont always get the best but you end up with better average powers over a longer period and it costs alot less. Maybe after i graduate and get a decent job i would get a big custom deal but i wouldnt keep buying them i would upgrade that and keep the nice case and extras and the cooling and just replace the rest.