Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

building a new PC

• Please log in to reply

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

It cost me about $9,600, and let me say one thing, It wasn't easy to get! :whistling:

Yeah overall its a good powerful machine.

You spent too much money for it though. It will get outdated very soon, I know that every pc gets outdated but you just spent $9,600 on a system with quad sli video cards while direct x10 is coming very soon. The video cards you bought are fast right now but they will be actually hurting you soon because for direct x10 you have to have a directx10 compatable video card and those are not. You should of read up or came here first and we could of persuaded you into getting something cheaper to hold you off until direct x10 came out and the new processors which will be coming out very soon. The new OS will be coming out later but around 7 months or so..

While those video cards are powerful you just pretty much wasted some cash literally.. They are not compatable with direct x10 at all and for example: **Just an example** 2 of the newer high end direct x10 videocards coming out with dx10 in sli mode will be able to beat your 4 video cards in games and benchmarks. Direct x10 is alot faster than the current dx9 and the video cards coming out will be alot faster also...

I wanted to get another bad pc but Im waiting until this new technology comes out because I dont want to be left behind with dx9... Dx9 will run on dx10 games but it wont be as fast and you loose alittle performance and what not..

The Intel extreme edition cpu's arent even that fast **IN GAMES Versus and amd for 1/4th the price** unless you overclock them which your seems to be overclocked.

Well just an estimate but if you knew how to build your own pc and put it together you could of gotten that pc for around $5000 or less. $4500-$5000 id say..

now if you got a comparable pc but with an amd chip you wouldnt even have to get the fx-60. The opteron 165 can overclock to fx-60 speeds and the chip is only around $350 + or -. Add 4gb of ram and pick out 2 nvidia 7900gtx's you can find 2 of them for a grand $1,000. You dont need 4... get a raptor harddrive if you wanted.. All high end stuff If I built this (the amd pc) it would be around $2500..

This goes to show you how much you can save if you know how to build a pc yourself.. If you go water cooling it would still be under $3,000..

Edited by jrm20, 13 May 2006 - 06:05 PM.

Advertisements

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
:blink: (Drools) :whistling:

Voodoo makes some of the best looking cases ! I liek the Gold or Bronze one the best. There systems are built very stable also ! I was looking at there site not to long ago and i made my own laptop on there. I never knew you could have a laptop with so much hardware in it ! Amazing haha

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Please tell me how much less I could have gotten a better PC than the Renegade for Warriorscot. :whistling:
And what would be the specs of it.

Edited by Anton1382, 14 May 2006 - 08:14 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Built yourself or someone else, i can easily do it for a build yourself, someone else you usually have to phone up the best places, armari i would have to phone to get a gravistar with the quad sli, same for voodoo.

take it you are US so Nvidia would be cheaper, i would go ATI myself, i wouldnt never get the quad sli myself because the extra power is superflous because nothing is designed to use it.

I configured an equally fast gravistar for about £3,400 add about a $1000 to take into account conversions as prices are generally paralleled, its harder to find US there is lots here but US ones are harder Voodoo do US though ill check with them on the site if i can, but building yourself yould have saved at least $3000 and you could have got an FX-60 or 165.

And you would have higher quality components and peripherals dell skimp no all there systems and the xps cases are cheap and the peripherals cost more.

Edited by warriorscot, 14 May 2006 - 08:33 AM.

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Well actually you just gave him a link to a product page for all he and anyone else still knows it could be just smething you have made up.

Word

Excatly what i was ganna say show me a picture of you with ur pc holding a sign saying FuM =)