Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help regargding which AV program to use (AVG or norton)

• Please log in to reply

tj777

tj777

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I currently have both downloaded along with antispyware(spyware guard, and spyware blaster), and analternate firewall(zone alarm). will any of these conflict making the less powerful. after downloading all of these my computer is much cleaner after all theses scans, so should i remove anything or does this cover everything

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start with AVG because it's free and not as difficult to remove as Norton can be

http://www.filehippo..._avg_antivirus/

You should only have one installed anti virus programme running, you can cross check it with any or all of these if you want to bookmark them, they will all run in the background

Online Scans

Panda Scan

House Call

If Trend Micro freezes during updating, close then retry

Trend Micro Spyware Scan

Kaspersky Online Scan

You can have programmes 1, 6, 7 and 8 running together on XP

http://www.filehippo...re/antispyware/

Andyman111

Andyman111

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
AVG is free and easy to use and a really good anti-virus software
Norton is priced and easy to use and a really good anti-virus software
So its up to you if you want to pay or not ... though some can argue that Norton is not the best anti-virus.

tj777

tj777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I already have Norton paid for, so now its only a question of which is better (right now im using Norton soley based on the idea that since i paid for its probably better, i know i tmay not be true, but i had to decide based on something), and are my other programs ok to run at once, like the spyware blockers, and firewalls?

Edited by tj777, 23 June 2006 - 08:29 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can run the ones you have

You can add the others I put

Stick with Norton if you have already paid for it, you only need to change it now if it causes problems

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I prefer Avast its as good as AVG and looks better and has some more features, its better competition to Norton. Norton isnt very good its not a good AV its easy to use but thats about all its got going to it, consistently it gets trounced by free AVG and Avast in reviews Norton wouldnt be that bad if it was free. I dont like Norton i used it for a while but ive always founf Avast fits my needs better.