Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE very slow after windows update

• Please log in to reply

jecm254

jecm254

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I am running Windows XP Home SP2.
A couple of weeks ago, I ran the Windows Update. As a result, I downloaded and installed the recommended fixes/updates, some of which were for Internet Explorer.

Once I rebooted my computer, I found that IE was not only extremely slow to start up, but also slow to navigate from web page to web page. I decided to stop using IE and use FireFox instead.

FireFox didn't seem to have any performance issues, until I went to play an online Flash game - it was as if the animation was all in jerky slow motion. I had tried FireFox previously on this same website with no problems. The test on the Macromedia website runs just fine.

Subsequent to these problems starting, I upgraded the RAM on my computer to 768MB from 256MB - this had no effect on the speed of IE or Flash.

I have run virus checker, adware/spyware/malware checkers, registry cleaner, defragmented the hard drive.
I have uninstalled Flash and installed the latest version.
I have tried disabling my firewall - no effect.

I have searched various forums to see if anyone else has had a similar problem, but to no avail.
I followed the steps under the "Repair Internet Explorer 6" posting (Method 1) - no effect.
I tried to follow Method 2, but it looks for a disk or CD with SP2. I don't have SP2 on disk/CD - I installed it from a download file.

This is not, of course, a critical system issue; it is just an annoyance, but a tedious one.

I hope someone out there can make some useful suggestions on what I can try to fix this.
Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You could try downloading IE and re-installing from M$ at
http://www.microsoft...mp;categoryid=6

jecm254

jecm254

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You could try downloading IE and re-installing from M$ at
http://www.microsoft...mp;categoryid=6

Well, I tried this idea - in fact, I downloaded and installed the new version 7, but no change.

Anyone have any other ideas?