Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Auto Shut Off Fixed - Now Informed May Have Problem?

• Please log in to reply

Poetic_thing

Poetic_thing

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi there, I previously posted a message under malware and got pretty much everything resolved with the exception of my auto shut down (or so I'm told).

Previous Post History:

Me: Since installing XP my system won't auto shut off when I close down I need to manually shut it off - how do I change this? I click start shut off and it then takes me to a screen that says it is now safe to turn off or whatever it says, so I have to manually hold the off button for like 5-8 seconds and then it shuts off. Previously when I clicked shut off, it automatically shut down and I just had to turn my monitor off.

Jag: About that shutdown problem, try to look at this Microsoft page :
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=810903

Follow the steps below "Resolution".

Me: This worked, my system shut down when asked, did not have to manually hold button to shut off. Jag then asked me to do the following:

Jag: Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART. Then when it shuts down again, is should display a blue screen with the error on it. Post the exact message here if you get a chance.

Me: I never got a blue screen with an error, pc shutdown and started fine.

Jag: It could be overheating or related to hardware problems. Please try to post here and post your specs :
http://www.geekstogo...rdware-f40.html

I'm running XP Pro 2002 PIII 451mhz 512 Ram

Thanks for reading this far and I look forward to hearing what you have to say :whistling: Roxanne

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You would only get the blue screen if the system shut down or restarted as the result of an error

Poetic_thing

Poetic_thing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thank You!!