Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dwwin.exe error

• Please log in to reply

rtullier

rtullier

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Dell Inspiron 600m
WIndows XP Pro

Each time I restart my laptop the error window in the attached file pops up briefly then exits just before Windows exits. What can I do to remedy this behaviour?

Thanks for your help,
rtullier

Attached Thumbnails

• screen1.JPG

Edited by rtullier, 23 June 2006 - 09:21 PM.

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there rtullier, dwwin.exe is Dr Watson which is used by the error reporting tool. I have read up on a few things and it seems you not the first to get hit by this problem. To fix this problem we will try and disable the service as it keeps crashing your computer. Try this:

Right click on My Computer --> Properties -- Brings you this box

Click here to see picture

Click on Error Reporting

After selecting Disable error reporting and uncheck the notification about critical errors. You're done with this part of things!

The next thing we'll do is make sure that the error reporting service is completely turned off and won't start itself back up.

Click Start --> Run --> Enter services.msc

You'll want to find error reporting service on the list and then right click on it and select properties.

Change the startup type to disabled if it isn't already.

After following all the instruction please do a Windows Update:
> Start
> All Programs
> Windows Update
> Follow all the prompts in your internet explorer

If you have any problems following the steps let me know, also let me know if your problem is fixed.

Cool :whistling:

rtullier

rtullier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
What is lost by turning this feature off? Is there a way to remedy the problem without turning it off?

Thanks

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey again rtullier, sorry for the late reply. dwwin.exe is an important windows file, but... in this case it is exception, when Dr Watson brings up error reports it does it because it thinks the program has an error, which it does not.

There is a way that this can be fixed without disabeling the service this is by doing windows updates, but... current windows updates can only do so much, if windows updates does not fix this problem then the only way would be to disbable Dr Watson.

This program being disabled will not have a negative affect towards your system as it is already having buggy effects.

Let me know if you want any more information.

Cool :whistling: