Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dvd audio and picture.

• Please log in to reply

bribiec

bribiec

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi guys, not too sureif this is the correct place for this subject, so please bear with me...I have XP pro. using cyberlink to play dvd's Problem is the dvd films etc are jerky and the sound erratic...Had computer reformatted and whilst at repair seemed to work ok..but now at home still same ie not working properly. Have ben into device manager etc. no yellow marks there.reinstalled cyberlink.reinstalled sis vga driver for MS?other os.3d Audio driver for windows ossis integrated LAN driver v 1.14 in fact allthat was on the install disk for TUSI/CUSI Series disk.Other sounds on puter seem ok just this dvd prob...Am at a loss to sort it out..any assistance would be appreciated...

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
It may be that the IDE channel for the DVD drive has been put into the slower PIO mode due to scratched discs. To check this out:

Hold the Windows logo key down and press Pause-Break; Select the Hardware tab; click the Device Manager button; click the plus sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers; right-click the Secondary IDE channel and click Properties; click the Advanced Settings tab; the Transfer Mode for both channels should be set to DMA if available. If they are not then select that option and then reboot.

bribiec

bribiec

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi WinCrazy,
Thanks for your info, but unfortunately i didnt work..I think its like looking for a needle in a haystack, but any assistance will be gratefull accepted.....

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
When playing DVDs are there any other processes taking a large share of CPU cycles ?

bribiec

bribiec

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi WinCrazy,
Not sure how to sort that one out apart from going to task manager (then what) it does alternate from say 9-60%.. But theres a new opening here, I have downloaded the new windows media and it plays the sound ok, but the dvd picture is dark and the voices etc and mouth do not synchronise, and the movement is still a little jerky...but something must have changed as I couldnt get the dvd sound to work properly before, incidently I tried the dvd's on my Cyberlink programme and it still gave jerky picture and sound..so windows download must have done something different to the config..I wonder if I should delete cyberlink from the computer? Then all I have to solve is getting the movements and voice to coincide..lol
Thanks again for your imput...
Charlie.( bribiec}

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
When playing a DVD open up Task Manager and click the CPU column heading twice to sort the processes. Look for a process thats using a lot of CPU % that is *not* related to playing the DVD. Some process is interfering with playback and causing it to be choppy.

bribiec

bribiec

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
[b]Hi WinCrazy,
Thanks for you asistance , it's nice to be able to get help like this...I have been to microsoft help and altered my screen resolutions,, ie moved slider to left...and have put settings to a lower hertz and changed to 16bit..and it seems to have done the job...although its made my screen rather large.
Once again thank you for your assistance....
Regards,
Bribiec.

bribiec

bribiec

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi WinCrazy again,,
Thought I would let you know that the new windows media works a treat for dvd's but the Cyberlink was still giving jerky pictures and sound, so I have uninstalled Cyberlink...
Regards,
Bribiec.