Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Find and delete/uninstall all application files

• Please log in to reply

anuenue

anuenue

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My problem is uninstalling all files in a program/application. I use add/remove programs in control panel or Add/Remove program which I find removes more of the files. In many cases the reason for the uninstall is to install a clean copy of the application.
I find that if all files are not deleted then the reinstall doesn't ask for install key or registration information.
Where do I find these orphaned files and how do I safely delete them before a reinstall?
I am using Win XP Pro

anuenue :whistling:

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
it depends on the application and how well it was written. some applications are well known for leaving behind lots of info on the hard drive and registry.

http://www.nero.com/...Clean_Tool.html

If you have anything which cleans the drive at start up then you could switch that off for a while

Optionally, use the clean up tool on the version you have, download and save the new version, run through this then install

Prefetch is clickable for more information

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Reboot

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run defragmenter

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

[color=#3333FF]Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

anuenue

anuenue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts