Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What Power supply do I need

• Please log in to reply

Christopss

Christopss

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi im buying a new Power supply. Right now I have a 250 watt.
My stats of my computer Are :
PIII ( 800mhz)
APG video Card
Two hard drives ( both 6gb)
Fan
Zip Drive
Cd drive ( but may be upgrading to a DVD burner)

A store told me around 400 wats would be ok. But I can get higher Wattage for the same price.
But I was asking for poeple i could trust more. So what one do you think would be best??
I also want to know if i have to much power dose it kill my computer?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I do not see that you even need a upgrade of the power supply. I've run a H-P P3-1 gig with a 145 watt PS for years now with no problems. It really does not matter how big a PS you put in because the computer will only use what it needs. Just because a higher wattage PS is cheaper than some lower watt PS's doesnt mean its better. What really counts is buying a QUALITY PS. Heres a good website on PS's.

http://jonnyguru.blogspot.com/

SRX660

Christopss

Christopss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
kool thanks

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
agree- i have some great machines running on low PSU's--you do not seem to be running anything with major volt cravings and if your PC does not reboot or crash randomly- then you should be ok :whistling:

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
unless your giong to put alot of hardware in your computer i see not reason to have a high watt power supply.