Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
[attachment=9222:attachment]

Advertisements

Fultiniho

Fultiniho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes, that one!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you do any of the steps to manually recover a corrupt registry

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=307545

Fultiniho

Fultiniho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
No, I cannot.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot with the CD and enter Recovery Console. At the prompt, type bootcfg /list and press "Enter" to show the current entries in the BOOT.INI file. At this point you may get a message telling you that the boot.ini file does not exist. The next step will correct this error.

Type bootcfg /rebuild and press "Enter" to repair it. This will scan your hard dives for installations of Windows XP, 2000 or NT and display the results. Post what is displayed in your next reply.

Fultiniho

Fultiniho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
After 'bootcfg /list' I was told there are currently no boot entries to display.

Then, when I typed 'bootcfg /rebuild' I get:

Error: Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent bootcfg from successfully scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any errors.

I've had this message before, and chkdsk always fails.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
In recovery console, at the prompt, type dir and press "Enter". You are looking for Windows or i386

Fultiniho

Fultiniho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I get the message:

'An error occurred during directory enumeration.'

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Fultiniho...

Keith has asked me to poke my nose in to see if he's missing anything. It looks like you two have covered about all the bases.

'An error occurred during directory enumeration.'

This error, along with all the other errors I"ve seen in reviewing your topic, could indicate a couple of things...neither are pretty.

1) The partition (which contains the file system) has become corrupt and is no longer viable. (I suspect this one)

2) The Hard Drive has so many bad sectors that it can no longer store and access data.

If the partition is corrupt, the problem can usually be resolved with a format and clean installation of the operating system.

The second would require replacement of the Hard Drive.

If you have important files on your Hard Drive that need to be recovered, I'd stop working on it now...everytime you fire the machine up, you take the chance of corrupting or overwriting data. If you don't, try a complete format and clean install of XP. (If you need assistance with this, just give us a shout.)

wannabe1

Fultiniho

Fultiniho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for the help, how can I recover files from my hard drive?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The first option would be to add the bad drive to another machine as a "slave". If you can "see" the files, you can probably recover them.

After that, it becomes much more difficult and may require a professional data recovery service.

Fultiniho

Fultiniho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Okay, thanks again for the help, much appreciated.