Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Still need help!

• Please log in to reply

jen147

jen147

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
I'm sorry for reposting this, but since my original post had replys to it that weren't really suggestions or advise, I thought maybe the Geek staff assumed it was already being worked on.

Here is the link for my original post: http://www.geekstogo...ng-t117590.html

I really wanted to avoid using System Recovery! There's nothing else wrong with my computer but this one thing.

It seems so strange that everything else about my DSL is fine. It's fast enough, no problems anywhere else except downloading larger files.

I was able to successfully download a file yesterday that was around 5mb. But I can't download anything around 10 or more. It either stalls and just sits there forever, or it only downloads part of the file, declaring itself complete then the file will not open (understandably) saying it's not a valid Win32 application.

I've tried a million times to get the lastest update from ZoneAlarm (13mb).

Is there really no other option other than System Recovery to fix this problem?

:whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download the installer again, choose run and reboot after you install it

http://download.micr...3803-v2-x86.exe

Have you got the free version of zone alarm?

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Yes I have the free version. I'll try the installer, thanks!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are you using the update option in Zone Alarm or downloading the file from independently

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
I've done both trying to get it to work somehow, I've followed the update from ZoneAlarm Preference panel and I've went to their site on my own and tried to download from there.

I hope I wasn't misunderstanding that you meant for me to try the ZoneAlarm update after I downloaded the Installer you gave me. I did like you said, the download for the Windows Installer went fine,

after the reboot, I tried the ZoneAlarm update again,

at first it stalled out: 33% Complete; 4 min 17 sec estimated time left; 4.27 of 13mb,

I gave it a lot of time, I left the computer a while, came back and it was still stuck on those stats, not frozen mind you, the animation is still going, but there's no traffic on the DSL, nothings happening,

So I clicked Cancel, then while I was still on the ZoneAlarm website, clicked download again, clicked run this time, (had chose save to desktop before because that's what they suggest), I really don't know why I did it, I guess I was just frustrated, not really expecting anything to come of it...

And it picks back up right where it left off when the other download box had stalled... right back from 33% Complete; 4 min 17 sec estimated time left; 4.27 of 13mb,

This time it goes all the way, and I was finally able to install with no problems?????? Go Figure?!?

I don't know how that could even be possible having chose save for the first 1/3 and then run for the last 2/3, it just doesn't make sense.

I won't know if it's fixed or not unless I try to download something else of the same size, what do you propose I do?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That is usual for downloads if you click to start it again because the earlier bit is still in the temp internet files folder

Is this the PC which had the Kodak problem?

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Yes, it's the same pc.

What do you think was/is the problem?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and save this then run it

http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Keith,

Ran winsock when the computer rebooted, got a little baloon reading:

Local Area Connection: This connection has limited or no connectivity.

Performed the following:

Start/Control Panel/Network Connections/Right Click on Local Area Connection/Properties/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)/Properties/unticked Obtain an IP Address automatically/ticked Use the Following

Then I entered all my numbers, restored connection.

???

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Not seen that, does the connection run?

Advertisements

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
What do you mean by "does the connection run"?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is it working properly

Winsock should have run, rebooted and carried on without the need to reload any information

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Yes, my connection is fine, I'm able to access the internet no problem.

winsock did everything perfectly up until after the reboot when it came back on it had lost connection, I had to go back in and retype my IP address, Gateway, Netmask, Primary and Secondary DNS

But as soon as I did that then it was fine. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you tried to download anything over 10MB

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Well, I thought about it, but I don't know what to download. Got any suggestions?