Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Still need help!

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is 10.7

This is Freeware

http://www.compu-rx....nce-package.htm

Keep your PC fine-tuned and secure with this all-in-one package: clean up your hard drive, remove malicious spyware, backup your email, address book, Internet bookmark favorites, desktop settings, files, folders, speed up your programs, and more.

Advertisements

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Keith, thanks for hanging in there with me!

Well, the download stalled again. The frustrating thing is it got to 10.0 of 10.7 mb.

I let it sit there a few minutes, then a box came up that it had completed and I clicked to open the program.

An error came up saying: This file contains invalid data.

I don't think it got that last .7 mb.

So then I deleted all my temp files, cookies, and web history (couldn't have had much in there had already done this a few times today).

Then I clicked to download again, the transfer rate started really slow then gain up to normal,

It stalled again at 16 seconds to go and 10.1 mb of 10.7

I waited a few minutes, clicked cancel, clicked download again, it finished, I proceeded to install the program,

Seemed like everything was going ok, got through the first few of their screens then this warning came up:

Compu-Rx Computer Maintenance has not been totally installed because of the following reason:
anti-spyware\SpybotSD.exe: This file contains invalid data. (error 21FC)

You will have to run this utility again to completely install Compu-Rx Computer Maintenance.

Do you know what to make of it all???

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I was just checking the Kodak post, this is worth a look, though not quick, you already have tune up so just follow it in sequence

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Everything came preinstalled on this computer. I only have the system recovery cd that I made when we first hooked the computer up. Which was about a year and a half ago.

Although I think all the preinstalled programs are on Drive D, would XP be there too? Or is that not what drive D is for?

Last time you had me run that with the Kodak post, it didn't ask for the cd, do you think it will this time?

Thing is, I don't know where to get the XP cd.

Whatever I try it will have to wait until tomorrow. Thanks again for all your help!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run it again just to check it, the rest runs without a CD

D is most likely the recovery partition which you don't need to use

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Keith, good day to you!

Ok, I went through all your steps.

sfc /scannow went fine. It did not ask for a cd.

chkdsk seemed to go alright. Then when it was done and it got back to the desktop, I first noticed that the little avast icon had a red x on it. So I clicked it and an error box came up saying:

avast: The AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error.
The operation could not be completed.

Also there was a message box from my WinPatrol, saying that scotty had detected a new IE addon had been installed and did I approve it:

dlprotect.dll
C:\Program Files\Spyware Guard\dlprotect.dll

I clicked Yes to approve.

So then I went to TuneUp to run the cleaners you suggested, but the shortcut wouldn't work, then I tried IE shortcut it didn't work, so then I tried all my shortcuts and nothing was opening, I couldn't even get task manager to come up.

I thought I wasn't even going to be able to shut the machine down, I clicked Turn Off Computer on the start menu and it cleared the desktop then just sat there about a minute and an error box came up, I tried to jot down what it said but I may not have gotten it all:

svchost
unknown hard error

Then it finally shut down. I restarted the computer, and when it had loaded completely it was back to normal.

I then ran TuneUp Disc CleanUp and Registry CleanUp, Disc CleanUp found very minimal stuff, something like .66mb. Registry CleanUp found 18 bad entries, some to do with Winsock, a couple said invalid entry from ZoneAlarm.

What do you think about all that?

Do you want me to try the Compu-RX again?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Yes please

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Completed 10.3 of 10.7

Of course it wouldn't open, said File contains invalid data.

Do you think it could have anything to do with the Accelerate Downloads and Internet Surfing feature in TuneUp?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It shouldn't but you can run it again and choose 56k which will cancel out the acceleration

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Keith,

changed it to 56k, but I'm going to have to change it back to something higher because it took Forever just to post this post!!

Anyway, tried the download 2x,

First try got 8.63mb,

second try got 5.09 and the transfer rate on that one I noticed was only 15.5KB/sec.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I didn't think tune up was the problem but it was worth checking

Have you got everything from Microsoft Update

Have you changed anything with the firewall

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Yes, I've just recently checked MS update.

As for the Firewall, I'm new to ZoneAlarm, it's a lot different from Norton. I guess most settings are still default.

Anything in particular I should check?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
A friend cannot get Zone alarm 6.5 to run on hers, how recently did you install it, did you have 6.1 before, was the downloading OK then

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
I installed ZoneAlarm on June 16th. I don't know what version it was, the only update I've gotten was the one that you and I were finally able to get downloaded from a few days ago. It is now 6.5 version.

The last successful (larger size) download that I got was the Kodak upgrade that you also helped me with. That's when I had first installed TuneUp. And that file was about 30mb or more.

Within a few days of you helping me with Kodak, was when my NIS 2005 expired, and I already had Avast and ZoneAlarm, and OnlineSafety Shield (for parental control) saved to my desktop in anticipation of uninstalling Norton and installing them as replacements.

I had a lot of trouble out of OSS, so I uninstalled it, and was going to try another like it called CyberPatrol, that's when I discovered the download problem.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you click run it now in step 2

http://service1.syma...n...v=&osv_lvl=