Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer infected?

• Please log in to reply

viriul

viriul

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I need help, something is wrong with my pc and i dont know what. I tried everything i could think of to find what is wrong and nothing...

I scanned the computer with antivirus( macaffee, AVG ) with antispyware ( ad-aware and others) and even tried to verify if i had rootkits. everyone of them said there was nothing wrong...

Still i have some problems... The MSN can't connect, outlook can't retrieve mails from pop3 servers, windows update can't connect, and i can't go to any secure page (https:) those are the main symptons, but there may be more.

This hapenned all of a sudden, and i didn't make anyy changes before to my pc nor have i installed anything new.
the only thing strange that happened ( and i think it may be this) is that ) is i receiveid a new message in msn from someone unknown and stupid of me a accepted.

This happened in my house in my lan and afetcs my laptop and my desktop. i carried my laptop to my work and connected in the bussiness lan. the symptoms remained... but all of my work pc didn't had any problems...

so resuming...
Id on't thinks is my isp because i can work from another one...
it affects my 2 computers that were connected on LAN
No anti-virus and such detected anything...

Any idea of what is wrong?
Any help you can give?
Or is my only solution a new instalation?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello and welcome to geekstogo,
i'm just wondering, when you said you accepted the e-mail from someone that you didn't know, by any chance did you mean that you clicked on a URL or opened an attachement?
thanx
James

viriul

viriul

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for your reply

I was wondering if anybody could be of any help.

Ok, answering your question, i didn't received an e-mail ( i know i shouldn't open e-mails or click on url's from people i don't know)
What i received was in MSN messenger, a message... from someone i didn't know and that wasn't on my contact list. I though that if it wasn't a file, there would be no problem... obvious i was very wrong...

But thanks for your reply... hope you can help me further...
If it helps i could attach here a Hijack This log... although i don't see anything strange there...

Thanks

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello again,
yes i have been having the same problem lately (random names sending spam), next time it asks you please block all content that people try to send to you that are not one your list.
So you saying you clicked on a link that they provided in the message?
thanx
James

Edited by james_8970, 01 July 2006 - 01:53 PM.

viriul

viriul

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello

Yes, next time i know what to do. but alas i can't undo what i have done before...

The message provided a link for me to press but of course i didn´t click on that link. the only thing strange was that message from someone unknown. Maybe my problem has nothing to do with that message if i didn't do nothing with it? but if so i really don't have a clue why and how this happened

Thanks
Luis

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello viriul,
If i understand you correctly your just curious why this happend and not thinking that you computer is infected.

On another note,
that message that you got on MSN is just a new technique being used to send spam to people as its just as easy for them to send a e-mail as it is a message. However, they reason why they are targeting people this way is because its more in your face type thing, a way around spam filters in hotmail, something that will give them almost a 100% chance of having you read it, not the almost 100% of you deleting it before you read it type of thing. As long as you never clicked on the link you should be fine, they are just a bot sending mass messages to random people. There is nothing really to be worried about unless you clicked on what they provided, just block all messages from people not on your contact list and you should be fine.
thanx
James
P.S. Just because this happend, there's no real reason to believe that your infected with anything. :whistling:

viriul

viriul

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello

well that's not it. I think that my computer has something wrong( i am almost sure ), i just don't know what and i couldn't find what, even though i tried everything i could think.

If You are saying that those types of message aren't anything to worry about as long as i don't clik on any link, then that means, for me, that something else is responsible for my computer not working well... or rather my connection to internet not working well.

I just though that was the culprit because that was the only thing strange that affected my system... Now i am completly baffled to what is happening, and fearing that my only solution is a format and reinstall...

If you have any other ideas of what may be wrong please tell me... Does the symptons i described may be caused by a virus or trojan? do they fit with any virus or trojan symptons?

Anyway thanks for your help and for clearing my assumptions about that message

Luis

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Nothing that you have descibed here leads me to think that you have trojans (as long as all the messages came from MSN). What are the reasons that make you think that there is a serious problem with your computer? Are you getting any pop-ups?
thanx
James

viriul

viriul

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello

I think that my pc is with something wrong because it stoped all of a sudden, and with out any apparent reason to connect to MSN messenger, and to connect to any secure pages (https://) for example, i can't go check on my gmail and i can't connect to my online banks because those pages require a confirmation trough a secure page... i can't make windows updates also for the same reason. but a still can connect to internet and go to a lot of sites and navigate like everything is ok only the secure pages aren't available. this happens in my desktop which i normaly use to acess internet in my home, and also in my laptop.

i have tried to take my laptop to my work and connect from there and the same thing happens. but the work computers all manage to connect to those sites...

So that makes my two pc a desktop and a laptop whith the same problem. and trying to connect from diferent places gives the same errors... if it isn't something external then i really don't know

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Ok lets start with the bascis,
What browser are you using? If Internet explorer, please go
tools->internet options->security-> move slider to "medium"
If you have Norton it has been known to cause such issues with secure sites also, so please mention if you do or not in your next post.
For MSN, please tell me what firewall you have, it seems to me that your fire wall may be blocking MSN.
When you mean your PC stoped all of the sudden, did it just automatically turn off to a black screen or did it slowly close down as usual with saving windows settings screen.
Also lets work with one computer at a time to make your posts less confusing :whistling: Which one we work with first you can choose
thanx
James

Edited by james_8970, 02 July 2006 - 10:04 AM.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
thy this

http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
rushin1nd, thax for your input but thats not what we are looking for in this situation.
viriul don't try that, that restores the internet once files have been corrupted and you can no longer access the internet.
thanx
James

Edited by james_8970, 02 July 2006 - 10:39 AM.

viriul

viriul

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
hello,

Ok, i use IE and also Mozilla firefox. The same happens in both browsers.

I mainly use IE so lets try that and lets recover my desktop. thats the main pc for connecting to internet.

As for security options on IE i use custom settings... i have adjusted some of those settings to try to make my connection more secure. ( that was way before this happened- 1 year ago, so i dont think it as anything to do with this). I don't have norton.
My firewall is from McAfee, version 7.0.150.
At first i though it was the firewall too ( thats what the MSN error numbers mentioned) but i didn't change any firewall settings... and why did the changes affected 2 computers?

The pc didn't stop, i wasn't very clear. Ok what happened was: i went to sleep with everything on, computer turned on and internet turned on. when i waked, the internet connection was down ( that usually happens- it's normal). I connected to the internet and then connected messenger, i couldn't. later i realized more was wrong like with secure sites...

Thanks for your help

Luis

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello again,
Ok, this is leading me to this that your router may be the culprit. Can you please connect your computer directly to your internet wire and see if it'll work then?
thanx
James

viriul

viriul

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello again

Yes, i read that the router may be what was causing this.
But the problem is i don't have a router...
my connection is ADSL and my computer is connected directly to my adsl modem, wich in turn is connected to the phone line, so no router.

( also don't forget that when i moved the laptop to another location, and connected to another network the same thing happened )

So i don't think it's related to the router.
At first i though it might be my internet provider's router, something that they would have changed, but it can't be ( my laptop proves it ). In fact i think that the fact my laptop acts the same in another completly diferent location means that the problem is only with the computer. If i could have access to a 3rd pc i would bring it here and connet directly to the modem, then i would be completly sure the problem is in the pc, or not.

Anyway, thanks for all the help you have been given me. I will go away in 2hours and only return wendsday night at best, so if you want me to try something else i can only do it then.

Untill then,

Luis