Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE6 default save dir modification?

• Please log in to reply

trodas

trodas

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Guys, you can mod everything - well, almost :blink:

Is there are any way to tell IE to open other default directory for each new opened window that is Administrator/Documents/Pictures ...???

It starting to bother me. At least for upload it remember correctly the last directory (D:) but never for save and I and I bet everyone else save more that upload...

So, is there a way?

I'm not scared to modify operation system files :whistling:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Internet Explorer opens to the same folder every time by virtue of the design of the operating system (that is, the Windows). This isn't an Internet Explorer issue, in fact its common across most Microsoft programs - they all default to the same thing.

One can change this default folder (usually your My Documents folder) in Windows, BUT this can cause a spot of confusion if you change it and then forget that you've changed it.

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Neil Jones - well, in short and rude way you say that the M$ programs are crappy. I cannot agree more, however that was not the question there :help: :blink:

Yes, you can change the My Documents folder with TweakUI and most applications (in fact, all I know, except these M$ pearls of ingenious programming design) does respect it. Not M$ Exploder 6. My Documents dir are now at D:\Documents, however the first dir my IE open to save the file is
C:\Documents and settings\Administrator\Documents\My Pictures
(excuse possible errors in translation, I use Czech windows and the path names I translated backward to English with large margin for error)

However there is a way how to change the "My Pictures" dir in TweakUI, so I changed it to the D:\ and logged off to test this - and - voila - it works! I found it! Hoooray! :whistling: :)

Thanks, Neil Jones for pointing me out to the right direction!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
This is better then using TweakUI, since you know EXACTLY what is being changed so that you can change it back.

Change Internet Explorer default Download Directory

Click [Start] [Run] [Regedit] and navigate to the following Key:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]

In the right-pane, change the data for [Download Directory] to your existing download folder
[Enter full path, say E:\Internet\Downloads]

If the entry is not found, create a new String Value [called as REG_SZ] named Download Directory and set the data accordingly. Quit Registry Editor and Restart Windows

Fenor

INTERNET EXPLORER 6 FAQ <--- Might be of interest to you.

Edited by Fenor, 25 June 2006 - 07:47 PM.

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Fenor - thanks for resourcefull reply, however I'm still nowhere near solution. TweakUI is better, yet there is a problem. The IE obviously want to save images into "My Pictures" path, and the (Download Directory) is used only for other files that pictures.

This pose a huge problem, because if I set the D: as My Pictures, then all applications default view of D: dir and any subfolders withing it (!!!) in useless and terribly flustrating Thumbnails, witch no-one seems to know how to change, check this out:
http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=132378

So, I think it is necessary to - either modify the comdlg32.dll file OR modify the IE, forcing it to open other that the My Pictures directory.

There is simply no other way (I fear) that get open/save dialog for pictures from IE w/o thumbnails and to open it exactly in directory, where I want it to open.

Like I say - it could be the default "My Pictures" as long, as we figure out how to modify the comdlg32.dll file.

Or we could figure out how to edit the IE default pictures saving directory to other one that "My Pictures" - eg. like the wanted D:\\ one... :whistling: