Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSN messenger blocks mp3s

• Please log in to reply

J_A

J_A

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
hey guys

not sure if this has been asked before, I didn't find it, so please redirect me to the existing topic if there is one.

anyway, msn messenger blocks mp3 file transfer from certain ppl and we've tried to work out whether itīs a messenger security thing or the windows firewall, but that firewall is disabled. now, it might be something with the AV software, not sure (F-Secure AntiVirus Client Security). and msn just says that "windows has found this file to be potentially harmful and has blocked access to it"

then we ran a search on the computer and it can't be found. not in the temp folder, not in the "received files" folder, and not in the quarantene folder of the AV software. now, this computer has windows XP, and SP2. I was hoping someone can help out there

thanks in advance

Advertisements

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Yes, i am having the same problem...the fast and easy alternative is to .ZIP or .RAR the file...

J_A

J_A

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
yeah but can't anything be done about it to stop it or rather prevent it from actually blocking the files in the first place?

iceyJDP

iceyJDP

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
What version of MSN Messanger are you using? This may have been a feature not available in the version you're using, try to get Windows Live Messanger

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
where could i get windows live messenger from all the sites ive been to olny have the beta version

iceyJDP

iceyJDP

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
That's correct, the latest release out is the 8.0 beta version.

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
i read on a website that it was out of beta on the 16th of june..2006............

iceyJDP

iceyJDP

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
http://get.live.com/messenger/overview

J_A

J_A

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
well, we were using messenger 7.5. and the thing is, i'm thinking it's something with the settings of windows firewall or something, i'm not sure it has anything to do with messenger itself. cause that friend and me can normally send mp3s to eachother but someone else couldn't send stuff to her.

what's better about windows live messenger compared to msn? win messenger - the version installed by default on the computer - can't even show avatars, I hope live messenger at least can do that. in other words, why is a change to that better compared to msn?

btw, the transfers work with zipped files, so thanks for that tip :whistling:

Edited by J_A, 28 June 2006 - 06:27 AM.