Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Power Supply Blown?

• Please log in to reply

aniway

aniway

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a WD1200 120 GB hard drive that was used in an external case. My brilliant spouse apparently connected the wrong power cord to the back of the case and the drive not longer works. I have taken the case apart and put another hard drive in it to make sure that it wasn't the case itself. No such luck the other drive worked. :whistling:

My questions are:

1. Can the hard drive be fixed?
2. If not, it there anyway to extract the information from it?

Please help, this had all of our picture and music backups on it.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You could try setting the jumper to slave and installing it in you computer. If it will power up, you can recover your data. It is very likely that the circuit boards may have been damaged when incorrect power was applied while inside of the external case. There are data recovery services available that may, for a price, be able to recover the data if the drive won't power up. Essentially, the process is that they install the platters (disks) into a drive unit that has good working circuit boards. Not cheap by any means. Do some web searches and you will see what I mean. Here is some info I found
http://www.storagere...tyRecovery.html

aniway

aniway

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the information. I don't believe the information he has on there is worth all that (the cost of recovery). I actually think he did have it saved on another computer. I have once again reminded him of the importance of backing the information up on a less volatile media such as CD. I will give putting it in a PC a try and if it doesn't work, I will just destroy it.