Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem running programs

• Please log in to reply

wiken

wiken

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi! I have a problem I don’t really know where to post, since I don’t know where the problem is.. but I’ll try here.

Some programs that I have downloaded won’t run (like Skype). I can download the setup-file, but when I try to run it nothing happens. The first time I try to run it a warning message from my anti-virus program (Norton) appears saying that there’s a high risk thing going on. I then choose to “always allow … “ instead of the recommended “block everything from this …” (don’t really remember what it says). But nothing happens after this and the warning doesn’t appear next time I try to run the program.

When I check the task manager the program is not running but there is a process “SkypeSetup.exe” running. The computer also has problems shutting down when I’ve tried to run the program.

My computer is not very old (october 2005) and I haven’t knowingly been changing any settings in the antivirus or firewall.

Hope someone can help me with this…

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
Hey there wiken, welcome to Geeks To Go Forums.

Is it just your Skype that is having this problem or other programs, does all the other programs have the same problem, where it shows in the process but doesnt come up. Is there any error messages at all?

Try disabling your firewall and anti-virus and then try re-opening the programs, let me know if the same thing happens.

Cool :whistling:

wiken

wiken

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It did work when I disabled the anti-virus and firewall, but it feels a little risky to do this everytime I wan't to download something.

I know that I successfully downloaded and installed ICQ and MSN a while ago, and I don't remember changing any settings since then..

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
Ok, so we have found that it is your firewall and anti-virus causing the problem. We definlty CANNOT leave your anti-virus and firewall off when running these programs.

Please give me a few minuits to get a fix prepared, for now leave your anti-virus on.

Edit: Are you using "Norton Internet Security 2006", or which norton?

Edited by spike_hacker_inc, 24 June 2006 - 03:50 PM.

wiken

wiken

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Norton Internet Security 2005

I can start the program now when it is installed, it was only the setup-program I couldn't start when the AV was on..

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
Oh, ok. I am glad you have got your problem fixed, I am sorry I couldnt help you futher. If you need anything else or more information. Let me know.