Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem upgrading Video Card

• Please log in to reply

andytls

andytls

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I wanted to see if anyone could help me with some hardware issues that I am having. I have a M920 series motherboard (M920LR), made by Hsing Tech Enterprises (1437.) I am trying to install a eVGA eGeForce FX5500 AGP video card and am having problems with the computer recognizing it. It is an 8X/4X card, saying it supports 4X AGP slot motherboards. This motherboard has a 4X AGP slot. Currently, I have a PCI card and when I unistall the drivers and remove the old PCI card and install the new AGP card it does nothing. The monitor doesn't show anything, it's like the computer doesn't even see it. I went into the BIOS at boot-up to see what I could find. I changed preferred card option to AGP instead of PCI, but the same problem occured. I read one post that mentioned manually setting the AGP Comp. Driving current in the BIOS, but when I look at this option it is not very understandable. The options are numbers or letters combined (ex: CA, CB, CD, DA, DB, CD...... 99, 98, 97......) I had no idea what this was, but this is the only thing that I thought to do because the manual for the motherboard mentions this option to manually adjust the driving current on the AGP slot, that some AGP cards require a stronger than normal driving current to operate. If anyone can help it would be so greatly appreciated. Or, if you need additional info to assist in the diagnosis of the problem please let me know. Thanks!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Normally video cards are plug and play once you have set the bios options correctly. You said you have verified the bios settings. Are you sure the AGP card is good? Can you try it in anothe computer to make sure? Regarding the motherboard manual's suggestion of manual adjustment of current, I have never experience that so I can't provide any insight. Have you checked the motherboard manufacturer's web page for additional information on that?