Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory error?

• Please log in to reply

sandimp247

sandimp247

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have an Asus P4800e Deluxe MB with 3 gig ram
Intel P4 2.8ghz CPU oc'd 10% to 3.08 ghz
I am running XP Pro SP2 with all updates.

I get an error when I try to make a recording using Windows sound recorder. I have been using it for a while to transfer my old band tapes to CD. But recently whenever I try to save something I get this error:

"Not enough memory available to completethis operation. Quit one or more applications to increase available memory, and then try again."

I dont have anything else running. I ran Ad-aware and A-squared, niether of which found anything. I have tried booting up with another hard drive but get the same error. System Properties shows 3 GB Ram. I have 2- 512 mb sticks and recently added 2- 1 gig sticks. So Im thinking maybe that has something to do with it. I noticed BF2 load times decrease significantly when I added the new memory so Im a bit confused. If the memory was bad, why would it affect sound recorder negatively and BF2 positively? I have not tried removing the new memory to see if that fixes the problem. Im hoping its something else.

Thanks,

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This is from a information week website.

Windows has some behavioral oddities about the way it handles memory too. For instance, Windows XP is supposed to be able to handle up to 4 GB of RAM directly, but sometimes it can only read 3.12 GB. Meanwhile, 32-bit Windows applications have access to only two of those gigabytes by default.

Programmers have to use special APIs to make their applications access more than that (see Microsoft's KB article 888137 for more information). Without some significant tweaking by all involved parties, additional RAM beyond these built-in ceilings simply won't help.

http://www.informati...cleID=189401864

Its a good read on why you don't need 3 gigs of ram on Win XP. The games can use the ram since they usually use large amounts anyway.

SRX660

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This memory limitation issue has been sorted with XP 64-bit edition and therefore will be included as part of Windows Vista next year.

The 4Gb limit was introduced in the days of Windows 98 (even if it did then fall over with more than 512Mb of Memory). Its amazing how its took this long to approach this limit.

sandimp247

sandimp247

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
So youre telling me I need to remove a gig to make it work again....Not what I wanted to hear. Looks like I need to set up a gaming system and a non gaming system. It doesnt make sence to me that there's such a thing as too much memory. I had a similar problem with an older game when I upped my sons computer from 512 mb to 1 gig. I ended up having to set his virtual memory to "no paging file" to make it work. Not sure how that affects other apps. but things seem to be working ok.

Thanks for the info and the quick response.

Edited by sandimp247, 25 June 2006 - 01:10 PM.