Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My Docs. Showing Up on Taskbar

• Please log in to reply

Athena28

Athena28

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hello,

Yesterday (June 23rd), out of the blue, the 'My Documents' folder (not the icon which is on the leftside of the task bar with about 1/2 dozen other icons I want) showed up on the far right of the taskbar. It won't let me delete it -- as when I right click on it I see the usual options of ['open folder'; 'toolbars'; 'cascade windows'; 'lock the taskbar' etc.]. I tried to unlock the taskbar & delete the 'My Documents' folder but it won't work. I tried to move the 'My Documents' folder off the taskbar (by sliding to the left & then to the right and it won't go anywhere).

I then used 'system restore' and restored my computer to May 11th. That got rid of the 'My Documents' folder; however, when I logged on today (June 24th) it was back again. I tried 'system restore' again and restored my computer to June 23rd but the 'My Documents' folder is still there. If possible, I'd rather not have to hit 'system restore' each time I log on. Does anyone have any alternate suggestions on how to get rid of the 'My Documents' folder on the taskbar?

Thank you.

Dell Inspiron 4150
Win XP
Service Pack 1
IE 6.0
Word 2002
Mobile Intel [R]
Pentium [R]
4-M CPU 2.20GHz
2.19GHz
512MB
Earthlink 5.0
56k Modem

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
I'd be happy to help a fellow Star Trek fan! (I can tell by the conversation you have in your signiture. It is between Riker and Data.) :whistling:

This situation is a bit difficult for me to imagine. Could you take some screenshots of what's going on? And then use the screenshots to describe what you want to do.

To take a screenshot, press Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint and paste. Save the screenshot(s) as a JPEG and post it/them in a reply to me.

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
:whistling: Great. You're not going to the Trek 40th Anniversary con, in Vegas, are you?

BTW, I think my signature is a conversation between Janeway & 7, not Data and Riker.

Ok, here's the screenshot of my desktop. You can see 'My Documents' is in the right corner (it's pretty light) and next to it has just appeared a folder icon. I'd prefer neither of those appear when I log on. Only the icons on the left.

Thanks again.

Attached Thumbnails

• Athena28__s_Screenshot__6.24.06.JPG

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Oh yeah, now that you mention it, that conversation is from Voyager. But I think it was between 7 and the Doctor. Wasn't it?

Trek 40th Anniversary con, in Vegas, are you

Nah. I'm a Star Trek fan, but I don't have the time for that. Plus I feel uncomfortable in large, noisy crowds. :whistling:

Anyways, for your My Documents problem: Right-click on it --> Toolbars --> click on My Documents. (It should have a check by it currently, so when you click on it, it removes it)

BTW, that is one of my favorite desktop wallpapers that you have there :blink: I think you'll like http://www.trekconnection.com That is, if you haven't already heard of it. :help:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 24 June 2006 - 08:35 PM.

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Man, do I feel dumb. I should've been able to figure that one out.

Yeah, I've been to trekconnection. They have some nice stuff, you're right.

Thanks again.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
You're welcome :blink:

Let us know if you need anything else :whistling:

And if you go to the Trek convention, have fun! :help: