Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fedora Core 5.0

• Please log in to reply

gtoman

gtoman

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have an emachines T6528 that came with XP Home. I installed another hard drive with Fedora Core 5.0 on it, so, I now have my choice of which hard drive I want to boot into. When I boot into the Fedora hard drive, I can see the cursor during boot up and loading of the OS but when it gets to the login screen, it's not there. I type in my login name and password and it goes to my desktop, but no mouse pointer (cursor). I can move the mouse and when the invisible pointer gets to a menu bar icon, or a desktop icon, the icon will highlite and I can open the program. So all it does is highlite a program icon after I hunt and find it. My graphics came embedded into the motherboard, no video card. it's nVidea GeForce 6100 GPU with available PCI-Express slot. When I right click the mouse, on the desktop, it does bring up a menu, so that works.

So, per another technical help answer I got, he says to go into the Terminal program, so I did, and here's what it shows:

When I first enter the Terminal program, at the jim/localhost$ (I think thats what it shows) command prompt, I type vi etc/X11/xorg.conf ,and then that page opens. Then I push the INSERT key and the word INSERT appears at the bottom of the page.
Where the cursor (or the black rectangle) is at the top of the page I typed this:
---- xorg.conf ----
Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nv"
VendorName "Videocard vendor"
BoardName "nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge"
##fehlender cursor, hwcursor off rhb#182517
Option "HWCursor" "off"
EndSection

(I indented some of the paths above but it doesn't show anything indented in this message after I submit it)

So then I push the Shift key (for the plus sign) and type +:wq! which is supposed to save the changes that have been done? (so i've been told).
I did that and then when i open the File column to Save and then Close the program to reboot the pc, there is no SAVE option in it, it only has CLOSE, so how do you know if the changes that were made in the Terminal program have been SAVED or not, because everytime I reboot the PC I still never get a pointer (cursor) when it gets to the desktop so it doesn't look like it has accepted the changes that I have made.
Please tell me if i'm doing this correctly or not. PLEASE show me exactly what I need to type and if the spacing between words and symbols is correct because I know that everything has to be typed EXACTLY right or the program won't accept it.
I appreciate your help,
Thanks, Jim

Advertisements

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
your mouse might be to knew for Fedora Core's drivers so it probly wont read the mouse.........try an older mouse if you have one..... i had the same problem with knoppix..and i just got an older mouse and pugged it in and it worked..

Edited by daniel_c, 25 June 2006 - 12:23 AM.