Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freeze

• Please log in to reply

melacina

melacina

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My entire system freezes up after being on for about 20 minutes, I can't even run "Clean Up" all the way through the system freezes..I have deleted anything I think could be a problem child, but I need some expert advice.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Freezing can be caused by quite a number of things. Please bear with me as I collect information in order to determine what is the cause in your particular case.

Please download Speed Fan and install it.

Start Speed Fan. When it is fully loaded, take a screen shot of the first screen by pressing Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint and paste. Save the screenshot as a JPEG and post it in a reply to me. Now click on the tab called S.M.A.R.T.. Select your hard drive by using the drop-down box at the top. Now take a screenshot of that as well. Post it in your reply to me as well.

NOTE: For certain computers, Speed Fan will not display accurate measurements. If the temperature wildly fluctuates or doesn't change at all, let me know, otherwise I will believe the mesurements are accurate.

melacina

melacina

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Downloaded SpeedFan, ran, was unable to complete the PrintScree/sysReg, wouldn't do it...I got nothing..however I do have the readings from the first screen
Fan 1: 3590 RPM...1.57C Vcore...1.58V.... -12V....11.79V
Fan 2: 0 RPM.......2.43C VCore...2.50V.....-5V.....3.59V
Fan 3: 0 RPM........3.46C +3.3V.....3.28V....+5V...4.95
+5V......5.05V....VBat 2.03
+12V...12.16V

Also I ran the hardward scan, also did the advance check and it came back in good shape..(obviously I was unable to do a screen shot and save as jpeg on that also), but from what my novice brain can see my Fan 1 is running hot and occassionally Fan 3 gets hot also...next step..is it fixable or do I just need a new fan? Also, puzzling to me, I have now been online for about 40 minutes with no problems, meaning no freeze ups, however when I try to run spybot or xoftspy I can not get through the entire scan without freezing..thanks for all your help!!!

melacina

melacina

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Why is it I can figure something out after I say I couldn't do it and then I look like an idiot? attached are the screen shots...

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan.JPG
  • SMART.JPG

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
:blink:

Your computer is overheating a bit. While I don't think this is the cause in your case, it can cause damage and could be the culprit. But in your case, I think something else is the culprit

To resolve the overheating:
Buy some canned air. Physically open your computer and use the canned air to spray out all the dust. Make sure you get the dust from the fans.

NOTE: You may want to do this outside on a table, since there will probably be lots of dust. In addition, when you spray the fans, use short bursts of air. This will help prevent you from wearing out the gears in the fans since you could be accellerating them to speeds faster than what they were made to go.

The main issue I see is your power supply's -5V is way off. This can definately cause system hang issues. I highly recommend that you back up all important data before it gets worse. Though, this may be a challenge since you are having the hanging issue...

Probably the best strategy for getting your data backed up in this situation is as follows: Turn your computer on. Find all your important data and make note of where it is. Put a blank CD in. Turn your computer off. Wait 15 minutes. Turn it back on. Start your burning software and burn your data. If you need more than 1 CD, turn it off and repeat.

This is just a precaution. Odds are you won't lose a thing. I'm going to contact a hardware expert to guide you on choosing a suitable Power Supply replacement for your computer, since replacing hardware is not my specialty :whistling:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
It seems that can't find a hardware expert to take a look at this thread.

Go to the Hardware forum and post your problem there. Tell them you need to have your power supply replaced because the -5 voltage is off.

Provide a link to this thread so they can check it out themselves if they want to.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi guys!

I think maybe some of us were waiting to see the results of post #5... :whistling: ...rectifier circuitry is very susceptible to heat and can cause voltage fluctuations when the PSU gets too hot. The CPU temp is in the area where it could cause symptoms such as these, too. If the problem persists once the temps are brought under control, we'll look into the PSU problem.

wannabe1