Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IBM 380XD trackpoint wandering

• Please log in to reply

Dragon306

Dragon306

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
My IBM thinkpad 380XD's trackpoint (the pencil eraser-like mouse thing in the center of the keyboard) often, but not always, decides to drift off in random directions. i can push it the other way ver hard and it will sometimes quit, but sometimes i have to restart the computer for it to stop. i have heard of other thinkpad's trackpoints doing this as well. i am using windows 2000 pro. is there anything i can do about this??

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I've found 2 things go wrong with the accupoint mouse control. Corrupted drivers have caused this on a old Toshiba 720. Deleting and reinstalling the driver fixed this one. I also had to replace the assembly in a satellite 1550 because one of the four contacts was shorting and causing the mouse to always move to the left edge. Very annoying and very expensive to have toshiba fix. I have since learned how to replace it myself and it was nothing more than replacing the keyboard in the laptop. Finding a new keyboard is another thing. I ended up buying the same model laptop off Ebay just for that one part. It was cheaper than buying just a keyboard from anybody. I ended up with a USB external laptop HD when i found a kit on Ebay so i think i got my moneys worth.

SRX660