Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Linux, FTP, and Apache problem

• Please log in to reply

yurimxpxman

yurimxpxman

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Ok, so I've got my server just about finished (at least before I take it to the church to setup the router, that is).

But I have a problem. I have to be able to update the website via FTP, but I cannot share my www folder on my FTP. I created a new 'nix account named "webadmin" and set the home directory as my www folder. I then created a new Samba user with that webadmin account. When I tried logging into the Samba account using Firefox, I got a message that said it couldn't write to "/var/www/".

My friend advised me to use a symlink, but that gave me the same message.

How on earth can I FTP-share my www directory with full write permissions??

As I've already stated, I'm running Fedora Core 5, Apache, and Samba.

I'd be grateful for any assistance any of you may provide :whistling:

Advertisements

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Samba has nothing to do with ftp. Samba is for windows network sharing. For ftp to work make sure that you have vsftpd setup and running correctly. And open ports 20 and 21 in your firewall.

Next, logon to the *nix box as root and make sure that webadmin is owner of the /var/www/ folder. If not, change it.

Then, from any windows box on the network, in windows explorer, ftp://webadmin@whatever. Whatever can be the IP or computer name or fully qualified domain name. This should bring up a login window. Use this only for testing. I use SmartFTP for any real ftp work.

:whistling:

yurimxpxman

yurimxpxman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Ah. Well, I'm a linux no0b for the most part :whistling: I thought Samba was the name of my FTP, but I guess not :blink: I got a suggestion from the Ars Technica forums, so I'm going to try their advice and see what happens :-)

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 667 posts
Samba is an open source program for connectivity between SMB/CIFS systems (which would be Windows) and non-Windows systems.

You can use the user manager in Fedora to create a user and make sure that user has access rights and their home directory is the /var/www directory and you will be able to FTP in.